• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Shaker Hood Hinge Springs

tonysrt

Reaction score
My coils on a normal hood spring measures 6" of coil and about 10 1/2" overall. Mine with those springs and the Shaker has a lot of resistance, so I worry about hood bending at the hinge. I don't know if you can tell by looking at a picture of the spring, probably have to be side by side to see real difference.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
I would like to see if someone with each type of hood in storage could weigh them and provide us the info. I doubt that there is much difference in weight between a Shaker hood and an R/T or Cuda Performance hood. The Shaker underhood bracing plus the trim ring likely weigh more than the small amount of sheet metal removed from the flat hood used to make a Shaker hood. The actual hood weights will tell the full story.

Challenger flat steel hood ___ lbs.
Challenger R/T steel hood ___ lbs.
Challenger Shaker hood ___ lbs.
Barracuda flat steel hood ___ lbs.
Cuda Performance J54 hood ___ lbs.
Cuda Shaker hood ___ lbs.

tonysrt

Reaction score
Well I got my springs today for the Shaker hood and installed. There are painted red and are 1/2 the diameter of the normal hood springs. It is now a pleasure to open and close the hood. A normal gust of wind won't close it, but open in a hurricane could. Well worth the cost and the addition to the hood.
DSCN7668.JPG

Steve340

Reaction score
It could be the pic? - but the spring wire diameter appears to be slightly smaller?
Sounds like the new springs have done the job for you.

Steve340

Reaction score
Based on the pics posted by tonysrt I have the standard springs (counted 19 coils)
The hood is not really hard to close but you do have to push it down at the back end by the hinges and I may be getting to fussy but I will order the TA springs when I do the next parts order.

tonysrt

Reaction score
In my post above the diameter of the red spring is 1 3/8" and black is 2 1/16, both are same overall length but the length of the coils on the red is 7" vs 5 1/8 coil length of the black spring. Picture shows red almost 1/2 diameter of black and it looks pretty evident. No photo shop here.

Steve340

Reaction score
I meant the actual diameter of the wire looks slightly smaller - not the coil diameter.
Thanks for posting the dimensions.

pschlosser

Reaction score
I do not know where the image in post #3 came from, but it seems a standard reinterpretation of the manual. The 1970-71 Parts manual is a bit vague on this, in my opinion - perhaps even in error, by some accounts.

In my observational experience, the Shaker Hood hinge spring on Barracudas/Cudas has always been the heavier spring, not the special lighter AAR Fiberglass Hood spring.

My interpretation of the parts book is the the lighter spring (PN 3586214/3586215) is used when it is BOTH fresh air and fiberglass apply. Which is the case on the AAR Cuda and Challenger T/A.

But on the Barracuda/Cuda with Shaker Hood (nee Fresh Air) the heavier spring (PN 3586092) is applicable. I cannot speak from experience on Challengers, but my instincts are it is the same.

The three hoods, Plain Jane, Rally and Shaker are all steel and require the heavier spring.

Only the Fiberglass AAR/TA hoods use the lighter spring.

tonysrt

Reaction score
As someone that went from the standard hood springs to the fiberglass springs it made a tremendous difference. I now no longer see stress at the hinge point when I close the hood. I was afraid of the hood bending at the hinge. I'm just giving you my point of view from my experience with the shaker hood springs. I have an AMD hood and possibly they aren't as sturdy as the OEM shaker hoods. That could be the difference.

Back