• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Shorty headers for 318

Maximus Matos

Reaction score
I am wanting to install a set of shorty headers on my 72 base challenger with 318 and auto tran.
Does any knows of a direct bolt on with out modifications
Thanks
Max

gzig5

Reaction score
What do you consider a modification? You're going to have to do some work to connect to the current exhaust system. TTI is probably the only one stop source that has chassis specific adapter pipes to work with their headers. Any exhaust shop should be able to connect to shorty headers without too much effort by bending up a little pipe.

http://www.ttiexhaust.com/MoparClassics-Headers/34025-Shorty/TTi34025.htm

Adam

Reaction score
Bolt on without mods?
If you have not changed out the cam, intake & carb, and probably ignition, to higher performance pieces you will see little gain from shorty headers, except more noise and probably leaks. Stick with the cast iron manifolds and get a better exhaust system all the way back.

TTI is excellent, but overkill on a 318 without other mods. If you were going thru the effort and expense to upgrade the heads, cam, intake, exhaust, etc.. you should bag your stock engine and build a 360. They are dirt cheap and will bolt in place of the 318 , and look the same (except left motor mount); my 2 cents.

rklein71

Reaction score
I used these in my 71 Barracuda build with four speed. Good fit and price was reasonable. Rod
Hedman Tight Tubes Street Rod Headers 78500

IMG_0799.JPG

Steve340

Reaction score
I used the TTI shorties suggested by earlier post and was surprised at how well they let the engine breath.
I would definitely recommend them they worked far better than I expected they would and are really easy to fit.

WM66

Reaction score

rklein71

Reaction score
I built the exhaust myself, did not have much trouble. I presume an exhaust shop can handle it. It is really hard to get good pics for my exhaust from the top.

Back