• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Small Tag under Fender Tag

doubleyellow

Reaction score
Was a very thin tag UNDER my Fender Tag. Another small hole in it, but no numbers.

Is this legit?

Anyone also have this? Purpose of the tag?

Thanks

IMG_0873.JPG

IMG_0874.JPG

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Yes. It is an inspection tag. It started off being longer. As the car went down the assembly line sections of the tag were removed to show that part of the assembly passed inspection.

doubleyellow

Reaction score
Very cool, thanks guys......since I have some tag left does that mean the car didn't fully pass inspection?;) Wouldn't be surprised will all the crappy fit and finish issues I found along the way....

@challenger6pak.....would this have been on every e-body? and worth putting back on? It's very fragile after 50 years.....

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
keep it with the car! Put it back on and under your fender tag so it doesn't disappear! These tags are very special to some buyers.
There are also smaller square tags that can be in place of those inspection tags.
Here is one. Craigslist car. I'll look for a few more so you can compare.

023.jpg

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
first one is hidden under the fender tag.
second pic has the little square style. Notice the stamp out of the tag.
Both types of tags could and often do have stamps taken out of them. numbers and letters. sometimes symbols.

I just went through about 65 fender tags and only three had the tags remaining. This is why it's important to leave them be. Over the years those tags get thrown away and history of the car disappears.

no option tag.jpg

zy1.jpg

doubleyellow

Reaction score
@cudahunter - thanks very much for the amazing pix.

Do you think the extra oval hole in my tag might be punched-in by an inspector?

Also, since we are on this, are both fender tag screws painted body color?

Thanks

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
I would say yes that is an inspectors mark although it is different from most I have seen.
Screws are an odd one. Most cars it seems had one screw that was painted body color and the other screw was not. Typically they (they being factory line workers) would bend the fender tag up from the one screw so that paint got under the tag and on back of the tag. Then they would bend the tag back down and install a non painted screw typically on the back side of the tag. Not all were done like this but I believe it to be the large majority of cars. The bends can also "help" to authenticate cars and tags.

Back