• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

SO CLOSE! Just a little more help please

moparguy

Reaction score
Well guys I have pulled all the plugs and now I need to remove the cam journals (bearings) has does one go about this. Also I haven't been able to pull the big freeze plug on the back of the engine. any tips? thanks

C O D Y

Reaction score
Check our ebay 370591187270 for an idea what the tool you need. Better to let the machine shop that will be doing your engine work do it.

moparleo

Reaction score
That correct. NOBODY removes the cam bearings at home. Machine shops job. Honestly it doesn't sound like you should be doing this stuff without help from someone that has done it already.
Does your high school have an Auto Shop class that you can go to? Thats where I went to use thier tools and get hands on help. They let us bring our own engines to class to work on. I also bought and read everything I could about the auto motive world. First book to buy was an engine rebuilding manual. That way you will know what tools you need to start accumulating. Most people don't like to loan out thier tools. Believe me. It realy doesn't teach you much just telling you how to dismantle an engine. You need to know the correct description of the parts your are working with and just what exactly they do. It is like giving you the answers to a math test, but not telling you what the problems are. That way you can ask good questions if the book doesn't explain it for you. Remember that most people on this site are going to just assume that you will know what they are talking about when they answer a question for you. Very few of the members are in your age, experience bracket. It is good to not act like you understand more than you really do.We don't mind helping out but don't neccessarily want to feel like we are holding your hand.

Last edited:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
In my experience, and I've had a few, the minimum amount of work that the machine shop will do with your engine block will include r & r of all freeze and galley plugs and cam bearings. That's not to say I didn't try my hand at those things as a young gun because the local tool rental had the cam bearing r & r tool. I am saying it's uneccessary for you to be attempting these things for yourself because you are likely going to get charged for them anyway when you have the block tanked and honed.

moparguy

Reaction score
The shop has already given me the quote and they said I can save 40 bucks if I pull the cam bearings myself. I am just trying to save some money instead of paying the machine shop all that money.

Last edited:

VeteranCosmicRocker

Reaction score
I've read your threads & I'd like to interject here. You're being an immature ingrate. From what I've read, Moparleo has offered sound advice from years of experience. We've worked on these cars when they were new. Trying to help others avoid the mistakes & pitfalls we did, is not a useless rant. Some tasks in a rebuild are best left to a pro... if it's not done right, you'll be sorry later. If you think you're going to build your first engine by internet posts.... well, good luck.

moparleo

Reaction score
Sounds like that post stung a little bit. Remember I was 15 once a long time ago. I wish I had someone to give me lot of info, but back then there was no internet or even pc's for that matter. Only a couple of ways to learn back then. Go for it and hope you don't damage something, have an older brother or knowledgable father who has time to help, sign up for auto shop, read lots of books, pay for my mistakes. Hard to hang around older guys cause they usually don't think its cool to hang with younger people, hormones I guess.
You have such a great advantage that the older guys wish they had when they were your age. If you don't think I am giving you the benefit of my trial and error experience, that is ok with me. It is a free Mopar site.
PS if the machine shop quoted you $40 bucks just to remove the cam bearings, I would say thanks for the estimate and call several other places that are not trying to rip you off. I really wish you well.

ramenth

Reaction score
Alright, folks, let's cool down a bit.

Leo offers up a lot of valid points. To the younger guys it may seem like the old "back in my day" thing, but he's right. My dad cut his teeth on hot rodding flatheads back in the '50's. There was a lot of trial and error, a lot of bouncing ideas off his buddies, and a lot of blood sweat and tears involved to get it right. When I was coming up he was able to pass that experience onto me, though he figured he never stopped learning and spent a ton of money on books and hours studying. No internet, the old fashioned way.

Moparguy, it may sound like you're being patronized a bit, but I'm sure if you were working - with a bunch of us to look over your shoulder - things would be different. Remember, there's no such thing as inflection and emotion on the computer screen. While Leo may come across as long winded to you, he's just trying to pass along information on topics you asked. And, if you notice, in his own way, he's told you what others told you: leave it to the machine shop. It may not be an answer you like, but it's a solid answer.

Leo's right, too. I know prices vary throughout the country, but I'd have to question $40 for cam bearing R&R, too. You're asking questions, that's good, don't stop. You're also getting guidance on which questions to ask on your end, too.

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
I remember me and a buddies first build without any experienced help. Figured PAW sent the proper rings with the pistons and just slapped 'em in. Could not figure out why the rings never "seated". Thing smoked like a cigar. Dude, everything (less the name calling - IMO) suggested above is spot on. So, I guess you need to put me on the "do not respond" list also. Let us know how this all works out for you.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
The shop has already given me the quote and they said I can save 40 bucks if I pull the cam bearings myself. I am just trying to save some money instead of paying the machine shop all that money.

Moparleo - if you don't want to give me a hand thats fine. Please stop posting on my threads I'm not looking for your little speeches, just getting work done. You have yet to give me any helpful information just your useless rants.

WOW :puke: Leo, you are a stand up guy:headbang: Your responces are all valid and answered spot on. Keep up the good work. I have picked up knowledge from your posts. Thanks, RB

moparleo

Reaction score
:)Always happy to help somone who appreciates it. Just can't please everyone I guess. I am still learning. Information exchange is what learning / and sites like this are all about. I have learned to keep an open mind and to listen to others. I guess my style is not everybodies cup of tea. My advice applies to members of any age. Nothing personal. Just because you don't like the answer:argue: doesn't mean it isn't valid. Let's all just try to get along.:eek:ccasion14:

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Hey, someone else from So Cal coined that one (Rodney). Or as the LAPD likes to say "Come to Los Angeles, we'll treat you like a King"! :love8:

moparguy

Reaction score
sorry guys and especially leo I did not mean to go off on you yesterday just had a pretty lousy day. But I have checked all my local machine shops and our flat rate for machine work down here is just so high its the best place close enough to home I could find.

I do appreciate everybodies help and I have to say you guys have all been a great source of help, but I think I don need to add a little insight. This is not my first engine rebuild just my first mopar, I know how to weld also (arc) and am a pretty good carpenter not just a SoCal kid who goes surfing all day. I am definitely in need of some help though on this engine especially.

So in conclusion I am very sorry Moparleo and I appreciate all of your previous advice, and would hope this would not keep you from giving future input. I just had a bad day just like everyone else has.

Thanks,
Colton

moparguy

Reaction score
Oh and btw sending the engine in on Saturday I will post before and after pics when I get it back.

moparleo

Reaction score
I thought only my wife had those kind of days. She 's been going off on me for 40 years ! moparguy, I know you don't like some of my explanations. But here I go again.
Mechanically, all V8 American engines are the same. They all have heads,valves, timing covers, cam shafts, water pumps, oil pans ,oil pumps, fuel pumps,distributors,intake manifolds,harmonic balancers, crankshafts, connecting rods, pistons, rings, blocks, exhaust manifolds. etc... So basically ( I hate that word) they all function the same, air/fuel in, burnt gases out. Just an air pump really. The point is, what you learn about one brand of engine applies to any other brand as well. The differance is all personal opinion. We know Mopars are the best cause my granpa, and father wouldn't lie to me !? Just kidding. the same tools will work on any other engine you will work on in the future.
I spent half of my highschool time in all the shop classes that my highschool offered. Wood shop, metal shop, auto shop, drafting. This education has served me well. My first job was working for a muffler manufacturer, That is where I honed my welding and fabricating skills, I worked in Costa Mesa as finish carpenter on upscale luxury boats, Good pay, but fiberglass dust and epoxy fumes didn't do it for me. I finally settled on turning a wrench for a living. A good living, you get to know the nuances of different makes and models, Eventually went into Management. My finger nails stayed cleaner. I have gone back east to the big auto and tire manufacturers factory training schools, and have a lot to offer information wise.
If I sound like I am getting too rough on you, let me know and I will back off, but remember you are not the only one reading these posts. Some people like to sit back and let the other people ask the questions. The info is for anybody that wants it.

moparguy

Reaction score
Yepp. Alright. Well I do appreciate the advice and will let you guys know how the build goes. Oh and I also learned that my high school will be opening up a "Mechanics" class my senior year, so something to look forward to.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that you will have an auto shop class to take advantage of for at least your senior year, I spent 3 of 4 years in auto shop, one of them as teachers assistant. I learned a hell of a lot and it was a great program.

moparguy

Reaction score
cool. Well i sent the engine off yesterday to Kenyon Machine. They do some nice work and they seem like pretty good guys. I will post pics when I get it back someime this week. It was $305 for a boring "package" which includes boring 30 over and align honing, they are pulling the cam bearings for me, hot tanking it, and cleaning up the heads and checking to see if they need a valve job. I'm considering having em ported for about another 200-300 bucks

Back