• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Spark Plug Tubes

1bolt@atime

Reaction score
San Jose, CA (previously known as prune-ville)
I bought a 426 hemi with Indy aluminum heads.
Previous owner installed plug tubes with black silicone sealant around the o-rings for the plug tubes in the heads.
Is this common?
There was still oil in the well around the plugs so it was not doing a great job of helping the o-rings to seal.
Plus, it is a real fun chore trying to get the silicone off the head inside the plug well.
Anyone run across this before?
THANKS,

fasjac

Reaction score
I’m not an owner of a beast like that but, back in the day my buddies fussed about it. The tubes are soft. Could be distorted. They tried an easy fix obviously. Milodon makes some that may help. I don’t think the leak is real uncommon though. JMO
Good luck with it sir.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
there are alum inserts that can be installed in the head that the tubes slide into that can really help

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
here is a picture

hemi spark plug tube cups.jpg

tonysrt

Reaction score
If your using the standard aluminum tubes, then the milodon inserts should work. I have them on the stock cast iron heads and using the Mopar tubes. They just prevent the oil going into the cylinder when you remove the plugs and tubes. It really prevented a lot of blue smoke when removing the plugs and reinstalling them and then firing motor up.

Ernies

Reaction score
be sure to put a light coat of oil or grease on those inner o-rings on the inserts so they dont roll out of groove when you install the spark tubes.

ProHemi572

Reaction score
I used the Milodon blue tubes in my 472” hemi in my Coronet w/MP aluminum heads. A little oil on the O-rings is all they needed & they’ve worked great for over a year now. Silicone on them is a no-no & must mean the previous owner still had a leakage problem OR was given unwise advice. Good luck! Scott

Back