• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Stalling/Starting/Not wanting to run

Glow Worm

Reaction score
Almost home yesterday and my car quit running. Everything was working as it should up til then. Had to hold the gas pedal to the floor to get the car to re-start, but after 30-45 seconds of idling it would die again. Took the air cleaner off and it looked like gasoline was puddling in the throttle bores of the carb. Put everything back on and tried it again and as long as the engine was running at high RPM's everthing seemed to be fine but when I let it idle it did the same thing again. The carb is a Edelbrock with a spacer. About 2 months ago I replaced the fuel pump and filter, and have driven the car several times afterwards without any problems, but the day before this happened I drove the car about 25 miles and it did sound like it was wanting to load up. Where do I start?

moparleo

Reaction score
First pull a few spark plugs to check for excessive fuel, Check the float levels and if the any debris is keeping the needle valve from fully seating.. Sounds like a fuel system problem. Remove fuel filter and check for any dirt.

Mopars & Missiles

Reaction score
........ About 2 months ago I replaced the fuel pump..... I drove the car about 25 miles and it did sound like it was wanting to load up. Where do I start?

What type of fuel pump did you use to replace the old one? If you installed a pump that puts out more pressure than the stock pump, (about 5 to 6 psi) the excessive fuel pressure will force the needle valve off the seat in the carburetor and overfill the fuel bowl and flood the engine. This is what it sounds like is happening to me. Check FUEL PRESSURE at the carb inlet.

Glow Worm

Reaction score
I drove the car over 300 miles before this happened. I will check the pressure and see what's going on there. Thanks to both responders.

Back