• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Starter doesn't align with flywheel after engine swap

llane

Reaction score
Hi everyone I've been pulling my hair out ever since I dropped in my 360 into my 74 Challenge. Car originally had a 318. I kept the 904 transmission the 360 had been internally balanced but when I put it back together the starter does not align with the flywheel. It hits the front and Spins out, does not engage I cannot understand how this could be. Never even took the transmission out of the car #@##%× me off to no end. If anyone could help me figure out what is going on and what to do about it I appreciate any help thanks

Daves69

Reaction score
Just throwing a couple things your way.
Are you sure the starter gear is extending out when spinning?
Is you trans housing completely seated on the engine all the way around?
Possible the dowels in the block are causing trans to be offset differently than the 318.
Maybe try loosening up the starter a couple nut/bolt flats and see if it engages.

llane

Reaction score
Just throwing a couple things your way.
Are you sure the starter gear is extending out when spinning?
Is you trans housing completely seated on the engine all the way around?
Possible the dowels in the block are causing trans to be offset differently than the 318.
Maybe try loosening up the starter a couple nut/bolt flats and see if it engages.
Thanks I was trying out all day yesterday I rid putting some shims in I took off the dust shield to see and they are just off a little bit is very baffling thanks for your help

llane

Reaction score
I did double check all the bolts and dowels everything's fine. The gears are coming out and I even have an extra starter I tried it's just off by a millimeter so I might try boring out the starter holes and moving in a smidgen see what happens at least try to fire up the motor and see if it vibrates

llane

Reaction score
I just found the problem flexplate I have is the wrong one it comes out too far. It hits the solenoid part of the ring gear when it extends.
Thanks

llane

Reaction score
Well I'm just an update I installed the motor started it ran for 2 seconds shut it down and it seized up yeah spent this weekend pulling it out and putting my 3:18 back :mad:
I took off the heads and the oil pan that's as far as I got don't know what's wrong nothing yet put my other motor in first get out on the road. This royally sucks.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Very sorry to hear that. What do you know about the 360? Did you have it rebuilt?, has it been rebuilt? Who put it together?

llane

Reaction score
Bought it from a guy who had it in a pickup truck his neighbor totaled the truck it all rusted out he took it out and after about a year he realized he isn't getting nothing else to put in there so he sold it has lots of nice parts in it. when I pulled theheads I found cigarette butts and leaves. Haven't had a chance to tear into it I'll find out.

20160206_181552.jpg

llane

Reaction score
Hi Everyone it has been a while but finally got down to tearing the engine down. One of the bearings on the crankshaft went it didnt really look that bad but it was enough. It did spin the crank so eventually I did manage to track one down from a guy and it is tagged from the garage polished and didnt need turning instead of taking in the old one into a shop. I recently got new bearings and a gasket kit and was hoping to get to this going finally. I live in Canada and was just too freeking cold to work in the garage in the winter.
I was hoping for some help with engine combination. The cast # on the block is 53003921 from 89'-92' and everywhere I check it lists it as roller tappets but it has hydraulic flat tappets. It is a standard 4" bore and has the 308 swirl port type heads also with standard valves and from what I've read are very good heads. The pistons are dished factory pistons. I have the edelbrock performer RPM intake with recommended 7177 camshaft and the recommended double roller chain too, also competition cams connecting rods.
I was hoping to get some opinions from someone who is much more knowledgable than me. Maybe as to what the compression ratio might be and should I shave the heads, should I increase the valve sizes, switch to flat top pistons, or if the current combination should produce a good amount of horsepower. I do drive the car allot and am not looking to build a race car just want some tire burning fun (im sure everyone here can relate to :p). The block and pistons seem to be in good condition it was the just the crank that caused me the headaches. I can spend some money on it but do you think the current upgrades are sufficent.
Thanks again to eveyone in advance. I always get great advice here.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I'm not very familiar with small blocks of this era but hopefully one of the others who is will be around soon.

Back