• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Starter going out...

Oystercopy

Reaction score
I am looking for a new starter, and I'm pretty sure I have the Mini Starter in the car now. I have TTI headers so I know there are some clearance issues there.

Anyone recommend a particular BRAND? Or are they all about the same?

Joseph Adamek

Reaction score
I am looking for a new starter, and I'm pretty sure I have the Mini Starter in the car now. I have TTI headers so I know there are some clearance issues there.

Anyone recommend a particular BRAND? Or are they all about the same?
I have a 440 in my Challenger with TTI headers and I used a starter from a 92 Dodge Dakota. You WILL have clearance issues. I had to take off the plastic piece that comes with the starter to install it and then put a piece of rubber hose between the terminals and the block, but it fits. I can tell you this though, if I have to replace it, I'll need to take the headers off because it won't come out with the header in place!

Oystercopy

Reaction score
The starter is making an odd noise, and even wouldn't engage a week or so when I went to start the car. Its the original one since I've owned the car (2.5 years) so I'm pretty sure its going out. I just replaced my starter relay (on the fender) a couple of months ago, so I'm pretty sure that's not it (plus the noise). Sounds like its straining to turn the engine over actually.

Flchallenger

Reaction score
The hole on the top of the mini starter is large in diameter than the bottom and the bellhousing on a quick time bell housing. I had to put a slieve in the top hole to keep the starter away from the block. Also used the piece that moves the connections to the rear of the starter. Saw them on here somewhere and can't remember now.

Rons340

Reaction score

Rons340

Reaction score
It was also on the banner of last week's email highlights if you get those.

conversion/relocation Terminal for MOPAR mini Starter DODGE PLYMOUTH 17466

US $19.77 on eBay
Save Share
DESCRIPTION
We are the ORIGINAL suppliers of these kits! TOP QUALITY, no cheap generic Chinese parts! Tired of fighting your starting wires on your classic Mopar with the new style high torque mini starters? Our mini starter terminal relocation kit will allow easy connection to your wiring. It relocates the terminals to the back of the solenoid AWAY from the engine block. I know these work because I use them on my own Mopar muscle cars and trucks (I own 3 of them). Prevents battery terminals from grounding ... more

TRipnip51

Reaction score
Check AutoZone. I got a mini starter from them for 1/2 the cost of online ones. They were so shocked a mopar friend of the store came and bought all of them!!! Just ordered one for a 70 Challenger and the mini one showed up. Fitment was a little weird but it worked!

Back