• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Starting my 1972 Challenger Rallye 416 4 speed 3.23 PS PB !!!

1972CudaV21

Reaction score
I’m not a fan of the YO wheels. Unless you’re going to build a modern handling car/track car with heavy suspension mods, the 15” Rallye or Road wheel looks best IMO. Or, Cragars, Keystone Klassics, etc. I like the look of Polyglass tires. So, I’m pretty biased. Personally, I don’t need the car to handle or brake like a new Challenger. I enjoy the 50-year old visceral experience.

AUSTA

Reaction score
Starting a restoration thread with my newly gotten 1972 Challenger Rallye:

I traded my 1969 Road Runner back to my Dad, who is moving down here to Oklahoma from Washington to be around my family for the remainder of his life. We had it shipped uncovered and boy is it dirty!!! It had been purchased from some famous Mopar graveyard in Montana by my Dad a couple years ago. I'll have to see if I still have the picture saved somewhere of him hauling it back on a trailer...

Anyways, my Dad had it stripped down and painted, and it had like ZERO rust. He only bought an AMD hood because it was kinda dinged up... The Car has numbers matching 340 motor, and original transmission, rear end etc. It was was pulled and rebuilt to nice specs by Gibson Speed Shop. The motor is stroked to 416, flat tappet, 527 comp cam, big mopar lifters, iron j heads street ported, etc. Aluminum big radiator, aluminum water pump, aluminum this and that... More on that later... Forged cranks, rods, etc... The car has Doug's headers but no exhaust yet. The front end has been completely done, but needs an alignment bad, and probably the torsion bars raised up first.

Also, it is a 4 speed console car, which is super cool for me! It was originally a dark green car with a black vinyl top and side stripes. It has been stripped and painted Chrysler Pb3 (Intense Blue) which is like a 1998-2013 Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep Color... It has the pins still for the vinyl top trim, so I am still deliberating on putting a black vinyl top on it or if just chrome would look dumb... It has 17 inch Rallye wheels with argent centers and the only interior that is done (besides tons of parts laying about) is the front seats have been recovered, a steering wheel put in, and a dash cap set in place...

The car got shipped here open trailer and it is caked with grime! the original hood hinges are sprung bad, so when my Dad put the hood on before shipping reusing the old hinges it sticks up bad on the passenger side. I got an entire trunk and interior of the car FULL of parts of chrome, and carpets, and dividers, and panels, and stickers, and gauges, and extra windshield wiper motors, wheels centers, and exhaust tips, and every kind of screw and bolt, and 95% of everything needed to finish the car. The windshield glass has been replaced with light green glass, and the side glass is original clear glass that I plan to replace with light green glass, and when the car arrived there was no rear glass on it...

SUPER excited to get started!!! I am a little intimidated by the gauges and their is just a big hole where they should be full of wires, and I have heard all the juice flows through the ammeter too... I am pretty handy and own a small painting and remodeling company, and have been around old Mopars my whole life, but I am surely no mechanic so here we go!!! I will post many pics to chronicle my adventures, and will try to dig up some old pics of the car from my Dad's time with it...

P.S. I had the glass guy come by and install the back window so I could wash the car, and bought hood hinges with springs so I can try to solve the hood alignment issue...

James

View attachment 79515

View attachment 79518

View attachment 79519

View attachment 79520

View attachment 79522

View attachment 79523

View attachment 79524

View attachment 79525

View attachment 79533
Welcome Great Project the good thing about the B5 blue it looks good with black or white .
Here is a couple of pics for reference before & after the vinyl roof was sprayed with black vinyl paint it has 15 plus years on it now without a blemish or any fading
Heaps of White on B5 over at CAR Domain this is from RTMikes page rtmike's Profile in Vancouver, WA - CarDomain.com
Also that car would kick with a 3.55 ratio looks like your dad has a good collection of spare parts

Attachments

• B5A66.jpg
    B5A66.jpg
    499.7 KB · Views: 153
  • B5white.jpg
    B5white.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 143

AUSTA

Reaction score
I’m not a fan of the YO wheels. Unless you’re going to build a modern handling car/track car with heavy suspension mods, the 15” Rallye or Road wheel looks best IMO. Or, Cragars, Keystone Klassics, etc. I like the look of Polyglass tires. So, I’m pretty biased. Personally, I don’t need the car to handle or brake like a new Challenger. I enjoy the 50-year old visceral experience.
I still run a set of 10 year old Polyglas on my Challenger 70MPH on country runs such a good ride just watch out for pot holes

Back