• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Steering column rebuild Help

Flchallenger

Reaction score
I have followed Cody Cuda's videos and rebuilt the steering column in a 71 ebody floor shift car. I put the can on and realized the can can move up and down about a 1/8 inch. Did i put one of the snap rings on in the wrong place. Is this normal. Here pictures.

20210808_151823.jpg

20210808_151820.jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The snap rings prevent the shaft from moving up or down in the brg one of them is not seated correctly .

Montclaire

Reaction score
The nut holding the can is supposed to be torqued to 60 foot lbs. It can move a bit until you torque it, which is easiest to do once it’s in the car.

Flchallenger

Reaction score
Nut is torqued down to 60lbs. and a little more. I was having trouble trying to find the slot that lines up with can and shaft. Have a rubber mallet and tapped a little on the can to see if it was seating right and then put the nut on. I think it pooped the big snap ring loose or something. I just remember the column moving any or very little. But I am getting old and the memory is going quick.
I better take it apart and check every thing.

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
I just went out and tried to move mine back and forth, it did not budge. Mine was not re-built, just re-painted. Not sure if that's a bad sign, but I'm leaning that way.

Montclaire

Reaction score
No mallet! I use a fine tip red paint marker so I can see the master splines off the bench. Use some anti seize when you put the can back on and the nut will draw it down.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Your almost there. Don't leave the engine and go to the caboose. You'll wreck the train! Pull the can and check the can and shaft spines and nut and shaft threads. If every thing is in place it should work somewhat easy. Just by drawing the nut on. Remember if you're working to hard you're doing something wrong!

Last edited:
Back