• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

steering thoughts

70challengerdane

Reaction score
i had an idea the other day and i plan on trying it to see if itll work like it does in my head or if im missing information... my thoughts are if you have a worm and sector, the majority of your driving is on a select few teeth of the sector gear right? so then you could theoretically disconnect your pitman arm and spin the steering wheel a few turns or so and be on a significantly less worn select few gears for straight and minor turning highway driving... is this as possible as it seems in my head? ive never heard of anyone doing this so it seems like it doesnt work but i would think it would... cause if the sector is a round gear, unless your turning sharp in a parking lot all your 40 years of driving is mostily on the one half and maybe even one quarter of that round gear. so if you disconnect your pitman and spin the sector 180 degrees via worm gear, youd be on a nearly unused side of the sector and there shouldnt be any problems cause the worm is a spiraling gear right? anyway let me know your thoughts ill probably try this tomorrow or the next day and see how it goes..

70challengerdane

Reaction score
k nevermind i talked to my auto instructor and he explained that the sector gear is called a sector cause its only part of the gear and it hits the side of the box when it maxes out so it cant be done :( guess its time to save for a new box!

moper

Reaction score
You can adjust the clearance between the sector and worm. mopar has famously poor road feel and slop but you can tighten it up to "as good as it gets" by following the factory service manual procedures to adjust it.

Back