• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

steering

ralphm14

Reaction score
hi all, I have a 74 challenger all stock ,my problem is when I drive, it's like being on ice it's all over the road I am always exhausted after long rides. would like to upgrade but keep it original what are my options

moparleo

Reaction score
Do you have good quality jackstands and a good floor jack ? Air compressor, good gauge ? Basic tools like1/2 " drive sockets and ratchet? Breaker bar ? A medium to large ball pein hammer ? Long pry bar ?
Some of the wandering around is one of the quirks of this suspension.
To make sure that the front suspension parts are in safe condition, we need to get the front end up in the air. Block the rear tires, put jack stands under the subframe and put the parking brake on. I know that this is very basic but others are also reading this thread and some of them may be just getting into working on their cars and need basic instruction on safety procedures. First thing is to inspect the tires for excess wear, bubbles or tread damage . Next is the air pressure. Under inflated can cause the front end to feel very sloppy. Over inflation cause the tires to wander all over the road. All of the tires need to be inflated to the proper pressure. How much will depend on the tire and rim size. Inspect the front end parts for damage, loose parts, missing cotter pins and/or nuts. Worn or missing rubber in the bushings. Excessive play in the front end. With tires still installed, Take one side and hold the tire at the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock position. Turn the l/f tire and turn the tire to the extreme left and then work the tire back and forth checking for loose parts. Go to the other side and do the same thing again. One of the common front suspension parts to wear out is the idler arm. See if it has any up and down movement when you rock the tires back and forth. If the front suspension is over 10 years old, you are probably going to need to do a suspension rebuild. One of our sites' sponsors is P-S-T. They sell excellent quality products and all different stages of front suspension packages. If you want more detail inspecting and repairing the front end, there are many sites on You Tube you can use for reference.

Last edited:

djais1801

Reaction score
my front end is all new, prior to me purchasing, and wandered intermittently (very scary). Turned out to be a worn steering coupler. Pretty bad, one guy sat in car and turned steering wheel 5 degrees each way, while other guy held the coupler and there was no turning of the shaft. Replaced the worn coupler and it's much better, I might still go with a firmfeel stage 2 steering box.

73DAD

Reaction score
This used to happen to me all the time on my non-power steer b-body. The bolts holding the steering box to the k frame kept loosening up, allowing it to rock in place when I turned the wheel. Its easy to check if you have a jack and a ratchet.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
When you had it aligned I assume you used stock alignment specs for bias ply tires , try maxing the caster @ 3* or so then set the top of the tires inward 1/2 - 1* & set the toe in at 1/16 "
It should steer a lot better , if it still drives like it is on ice tire a better tire compound on the rear !!

Adam

Reaction score
"All stock" as in 40 year old bushings? Rebuild the front end, use black Polyurethane bushings, they look the same, last a long time and no one will know but you. Also, Chrysler products of that era had way too much power steering for my taste (I like a little road feel). Im sure your steering box probably needs to be rebuilt, along with the coupler, and firmer torsion bars would be an upgrade... Kind of expensive, but you can save a ton by doing it yourself...it's not rocket science and there are lots of good instructions on the web.
Plus here are two inexpensive things to try:

Here is a link to a related thread: http://www.forebodiesonly.com/forum/showthread.php?9137-Torsion-bar-replacement

Last edited:
Back