• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Swapping 318 for a 440, Same K Member?

C Baud

Reaction score
I'm pulling my 318 and installing a 440. I have the correct mounts for the swap, but recently heard I need a BB K Member. Is this true or a SB original K Member with the correct SB to BB mounts will work?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
All V8 K frames are similar & will work except for the Hemi .
The 318 K frame will not have the skid plate but that can be welded on if you want it later so with the correct mounts for the 440 it will drop in .

1972 AAR Cuda

Reaction score
The 318 K frame will not have the skid plate but that can be welded on if you want it later so with the correct mounts for the 440 it will drop in .
This is correct - I swapped in a 440 into my 1972 340 Barracuda using the original K-frame. I am pretty sure I used the stock 440 brackets and motor mounts for the swap - I would say more definitely, but its been almost 30 years. I did used the stock small block K-member though.

Tig

Reaction score
Mine is originally a 318 car and I swapped it over to an RB many years ago. It's an easy swap, no fabrication needed just the correct parts :thumbsup:

Xcudame

Reaction score
Is mention, the only difference is when the 440 was installed, a skid plate was added. Certainly a great upgrade is to install the skid plate and run a 6 quart oil pan! Definitely a great time to swap in new bigger torsion bars too, something around 1.00" diameter is highly recommended.

heminut

Reaction score
You might want to upgrade your torsion bars while you are at it.
Or, if you intend to drag race it just leave the smaller bars in it. Old drag racer's trick! The Direct Connection chassis manual stated that the smaller bars stored more energy due to being adjusted tighter for the heavier weight. On launch, this helped push the front end up higher, transferring more weight to th rear tires for more traction.

If you aren't going to do any serious drag racing then yeah, go with bigger bars.

hdwrench

Reaction score
Or, if you intend to drag race it just leave the smaller bars in it. Old drag racer's trick! The Direct Connection chassis manual stated that the smaller bars stored more energy due to being adjusted tighter for the heavier weight. On launch, this helped push the front end up higher, transferring more weight to th rear tires for more traction.

If you aren't going to do any serious drag racing then yeah, go with bigger bars.
i’m approaching a bb swap now , i agree with the lighter torsion bar approach and i’m going to start w the original small block torsion bars and see how it launches. i only playing on the street so i’ll need some handling also . haven’t made a decision on the rear leafs yet but thinking of doing the same …

HooToTheCore

Reaction score
Worked for me. 440 with its original mounts dropped right on the 318 K-frame with no modifications. I went with the e-body 440 torsion bars and added a sway bar.

Back