• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Thermostat?

wedg2go

Reaction score
Does anybody have an opinion about what type of thermostat and the minimum rating I should be running on a 440 +0.60 six pack? I am currently running a 195 and begin wondering if that would be a little too warm for this engine? Never overheats. Always right there at 195 . Just wondering.

Mopars & Missiles

Reaction score
Well, nothing wrong with 195. You obviously have an efficient cooling system to maintain that temp. Are you going by the factory gauge, or do you have a more accurate aftermarket gauge to measure it with? Infrared gun on the radiator and water pump for accuracy?

I wouldn't go any lower than a 180 stat, but that doesn't mean your car would run any cooler. It may still run at 195 even with a 180 thermostat.

wedg2go

Reaction score
It's equipped with a mechanical gauge. It is consistently showing 195 at operating temperature. When I drive the car uphill for, some distance, it will go up to 200 but no more. I've always heard that Chrysler big blocks needed to run a little warmer than the norm to get the most horsepower out of them.

Unfortunately, I currently do not have an infrared gun.

wedg2go

Reaction score
I hope so...I get a little nervous when the temp starts to rise above 180. "Some" of the old engine really weren't designed to run too hot. I thought I would check in here and see which way the consensus leaned. Much appreciated Mopar & Missiles! :D

Mopars & Missiles

Reaction score
The following is from the 1970 Challenger Factory Service Manual (FSM) concerning the thermostat.

THERMOSTAT

The thermostat is actuated by a pellet containing a

copper-impregnated wax, as shown in (Fig. 5). As the temperature of the pellet increases, the wax expands and opens the valve.
A 190* thermostat is standard equipment.*

The use of 160° thermostat or alcohol type anti-freeze is not recommended.

If the thermostat does not close completely when cold, the engine will warm up slowly or not at all,

and heater performance will also be impaired. Poor
heater performance may also be due to valve opening
at too low a temperature. Too high a valve opening
temperature or a valve that will not open can

cause overheating.

*318-383-2BBL have a 195* thermostat.

Back