• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Timing chain dots. Am I losing my mind?

Bobby Sixkiller

Reaction score
So I tear into a 440 today to swap the cam. I set it to TDC 0. Check the rotor is pointing half out. Turn it another rotation and put the rotor right at number one in the distributor. Take it all down except the distributor. Both dots are up. Shouldn’t the top dot be down. Dot to dot. This is a chain from I think 440 source. S-340 part number stamped on it. 3 bolt gear. I thought they were all dot to dot. Am I losing my mind or is this gear set just made different. I’ll order a new chain and sprockets if I need to. Just no way do I want to do this twice.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Dot to Dot is firing #6 , both at 12 oclock is firing cyl #1

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Glad to help , you can line up the dots at 6 & 12 the cam will be in the same position relative to the crank , you just have to turn the crank 360 * to position the dist for #!

moparleo

Reaction score
You are correct. The FSM clearly shows the 440 timing marks at 12 o'clock on the crank gear and 6 o'clock on the cam gear. Doesn't anyone have a Service manual ?? These are simple questions and a FSM should be mandatory to even work on your car. The downloads for them are free. Here is the site so you can have one for free.
MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals

Huskidrive

Reaction score
My 383
IMG_0712.JPG

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Easier to line them up dot to dot. Then rotate the engine one revolution (12 and 6) and drop the distributor in for #1.

Back