• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Tom's EK2

Tom's EK2

Reaction score
Thought it was about time to post some pics of this AAR project. Started out October, 2018 Neww Raynor, Colorado on ebay.

r1-630x390(1).jpg

Tom's EK2

Reaction score
And Thank You...
Have tons of photos showing the before and after. I spoke with the Hamtramck Register guy at the Mopar Nationals in 2019(not Barry Washington. He wouldn't give me any information on the car because the vin plate was removed from the dashpad. I suppose they can't be too careful with crap going on with these cars) anyway the guy with the red AAR told me their are 5 known AARs in this combination of vitamin c and white interior, 4 auto and 1 manual.
I hope to have this at Columbus Nats this year.
20240102_130324.jpg
20240102_130512.jpg
20240102_131632.jpg

Tom's EK2

Reaction score
Painted without taping off anything. I'll go back and sand down again(5 coats primer, sand and prime) then tape off black out areas.

Tom's EK2

Reaction score
Painted without taping off anything. I'll go back and sand down again(5 coats primer, sand and prime) then tape off black out areas.
Definitely shows the factory overspray this way. Header panel(black) overspray orange paint underside brackets for 1 example.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Sweet project. Looking way better than it did in a barn in Colorado.
I assume you spoke to Jeff with the AAR registry?
Barry won't give much information for much of anything. I'm just glad that he has the hamtramck registry with all the info on it for us to comb through.
Did the car retain it's fender tag? Do you know the vin sequence on it?
Do you have the original motor? Or transmission? Looking for them?

Tom's EK2

Reaction score
New Raymor, Colorado right? Any history on the car from the area? Original to that area?
Hello again cuda hunter. I haven't heard from you in a while.
Yes, it was Jeff Bangert that helped with the info. Fender tags and Vin plate. Unfortunately, no original block or transmission. Appears they have completely disappeared. Car was last titled in Kentucky in mid 80's. No build sheet. Scheduled to be built April 1970 on the 6th day.
That being said, I'm building the car as a driver. No trailer queen here. My thoughts are why spend thousands of $$ on a TA block that doesn't belong to the car. Definitely would try and get the original drive train if it ever surfaced.
I am trying to stay period correct with what i can. Thanks to everyone here for all the information, advice and parts. Anyone,feel free to chime in with opinions and their thoughts as im still trying to kept the car as correct as possible.Here's what I'm going with.
1)1969 340 bored 416,cast crank,stock mains,decked,balanced with 10-1 pistons.
2)Non rallye dash-No tac,no clock.
3)Auto trans,TCI Saturday night special torque converter. 1,600-2,000 range.
4)Comp cams magnum double roller timing chain. Comp cams xtreme cam + lifter set,hyd flat tappet 1,600-5,800 range.
5)Fender tag codes A53. (Opt.3.91) Suregrip
No A67 or J68 code,but I'm adding the Rear Window Louvers.
No A91 code,but I'm adding the Rimblow Steering Wheel with a "Fish cap". Adding rocker moldings(fish gills)
No J25- 3 speed Variable Wipers. But did all AAR's have 3 speed wipers?
D32- 3 speed automatic (A 727)
No M26 code, but I'm adding the chrome wheel lip moldings. I've heard this option is listed on the build sheet only? I've seen AARs with and without them.
R11 code, 2 watt AM Radio, but I'm adding a 1971 cassette player mounted on the center console.
V6H code- Trans Am Black Longitudinal Sport Stripes(Vinyl Decal)

Like I mentioned earlier, this car has been a major project since October of 2018.
Replaced
1)both front fenders
2)Drivers side rear frame rail
3)Both front inner wheel wells
4)Full 1 piece front floor
5)Both rear floors
6)1 piece full trunk
7)Both trunk extensions
8)2 full quarters
9)Rebuilt original AAR Hood
10)Rear tail panel

Alot of welding, grinding, repeat. Alot of things we never did before, but keep at it. It will all work out. Alot of measurements and fitting. Also excellent help from everyone here.

No TA Steering Box. I'm going with a Federal pump, (casting #2537955)3 spoke, 7 inch diameter pulley.

20240108_050248.jpg

NixDad

Reaction score
few people are willing to dive into a project of that level...great job!
There is a TA block and trans (4 Speed) on Facebook for sale for like $19,000...starts with 296...but not an exact match to yours of-course (yours being an Auto)...but it does show that they do come out of the woodwork.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
This will be a sweet ride and appropriate for actually driving the thing!
Please keep us updated with progress pics.
I've only ever seen the M26 on the build sheet.
If you are adding R36 are you going to add R31 and R48? Just curious.
I am not sure about the wiper motor but would like to know as well.

Tom's EK2

Reaction score
I saw that TA block and trans on Facebook,as I'm still hoping something of my car appears.Seems a bit high. I'm still searching and looking for mine, just appears to have fallen off the edge of the world.
Definitely will add some kind of "extra" rear speakers for the cassette player. I think old time Rock and Roll needs to be loud at appropriate times. No plans for power antenna. Thanks- I'll post more pics. Project moving forward and I already have my rims and tires for the Columbus Nats burnout contest.

Steve340

Reaction score
I am pretty sure any car that had the Shaker hood or 3 carbs would mandate the 3 speed wipers.

Steve340

Reaction score
Yes I believe you are right that all TA and AAR cars would have had 3 speed wiper system because of the air filter.
This would also apply with the standard gauge cluster also - they would still have 3 speed wipers.

Tom's EK2

Reaction score
Yes
I just now see that I have a 2 speed wiper switch. Suppose I'll post a wanted thread and look on ebay or Facebook now.

Back