• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Tools needed to complete work

340challconvert

Reaction score
Needed a good long handle ratchet to use to lower the torsion bars for installation of UC Arms.
Most of my tools are Craftsman purchased back in the 70's, when they were made in USA.
Have not added tools to my collection in my post mechanic years for a long time

Prefer American made. I just do not trust the quality of the Chinese crap that is out there. Just my preference in supporting US industries.
Looked and found it difficult to find specific tools still made in our country.

Found a Proto ratchet with a 15 in handle. Available in chrome or black for 62 bucks, free shipping and two day delivery (Amazon)

Yea I know about Snap-on, but the price is prohibitive. Sears is also carrying a "professional brand of Craftsman these days, at a higher price of course, along with the Chinese stuff.
I think I found a good deal on a needed tool and US made!
Dino2 (1).gif

Proto top.JPG

Proto rachet USA.JPG

Proto 5450XL.JPG

Last edited:

AUSTA

Reaction score
Needed a good long handle ratchet to use to lower the torsion bars for installation of UC Arms.
Most of my tools are Craftsman purchased back in the 70's, when they were made in USA.
Have not added tools to my collection in my post mechanic years for a long time

Prefer American made. I just do not trust the quality of the Chinese crap that is out there. Just my preference in supporting US industries.
Looked and found it difficult to find specific tools still made in our country.

Found a Proto ratchet with a 15 in handle. Available in chrome or black for 62 bucks, free shipping and two day delivery (Amazon)

Yea I know about Snap-on, but the price is prohibitive. Sears is also carrying a "professional brand of Craftsman these days, at a higher price of course, along with the Chinese stuff.
I think I found a good deal on a needed tool and US made!
View attachment 27210
Yes there is some crap spanners around.
You should do the adjusters with the car of the ground the bolts turn quite easily unless they are a bit seized

340challconvert

Reaction score
Yes there is some crap spanners around.
You should do the adjusters with the car of the ground the bolts turn quite easily unless they are a bit seized
I have the car off the ground on stands, to change the UCA's. I soaked the adjusters w CRC for several days prior. Worked like a charm for a car sitting in storage for 31 years.
Long arm ratchet worked great. How many turns does it take to relieve the TB pressure? I did 6 complete 360 degree turns; the adjuster is visibly lower. Should I just crank it all the down? I will still put a jack under the LCA for safety.
Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:

AUSTA

Reaction score
I have the car off the ground on stands, to change the UCA's. I soaked the adjusters w CRC for several days prior. Worked like a charm for a car sitting in storage for 31 years.
Long arm ratchet worked great. How many turns does it take to relieve the TB pressure? I did 6 complete 360 degree turns; the adjuster is visibly lower. Should I just crank it all the down? I will still put a jack under the LCA for safety.
Take the adjusters out & clean up the thread if you lever the TB tensioner arm up a bit you should be able to get the rectangular adjusted nut out which allow the TB tensioner arm to drop a bit lower relieving the tension on the TB
The TB tensioner arm should be unloaded another soak of CRC may help also take the clips out out the rear of the TB can also be cleaned & regreased
Check the lower control arm bushes they also may need replacing.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Amazon product ASIN B00BTEXPDKI bought these Gear wrench fine tooth , but I have not worked them too hard yet fixed or swivel head. They are nice though & seem well built although I am not using them daily to make my living anymore

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
I have gotten some good tool deals from Amazon. I do shop around checking prices.
Could really use the "stubby" ratchet.
Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:
Back