• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

TQ Carb and Kickdown Linkage

72barracuda

Reaction score
I am trying to get the right linkage for my TQ and 727 kickdown on my small block/727 combo. The car was originally a 318 2 bbl with 904 transmission and over the years I have been able to make things work with Holleys and TQ with the 727 and get by. Now I want to put the right hardware on and it seems that the original kickdown rod used with the 904/2bbl is the problem. I have two different linkage supporting brackets that attach to the intake bolts. One is shorter and seems to be OK for the kickdown rod but puts the accelerator cable in a bind between the bracket and firewall. The other is taller and works for the accelerator cable but causes kickdown rod to contact the back of the valve cover. I am thinking the taller bracket is correct and I just need a stock kickdown rod for a small block TQ/727 combo. I have seen the post by Cuda360 and that kickdown rod is a little different than mine. Can someone point me to the proper kickdown rod? Is it a different issue all together?

IMGP2578.jpg

IMGP2579.jpg

challenger6pak

Reaction score
If no one on here has the parts you need, a Dodge Diplomat set up from a 318 4 bbl car will work. I have used them many times as a source for parts since it is hard to fine a Challenger in the junk yard.

72barracuda

Reaction score
OK looks like a good range of suggestions. I think for the short term I will experiment with making an extension for the kickdown rod where it attaches to the engine while I consider the options.

Eric Griffith

Reaction score
If no one on here has the parts you need, a Dodge Diplomat set up from a 318 4 bbl car will work. I have used them many times as a source for parts since it is hard to fine a Challenger in the junk yard.
What Year Diplomat should I look for??
I have the Same Problem..
Thanks...Eric

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I believe it was a late 70s model. Early 80s model Imperials will have them also. Some use the Thermoquad. Since the linkage just goes from carb to transmission, a 70s-80s pickup truck or van piece might work.

Eric Griffith

Reaction score
I believe it was a late 70s model. Early 80s model Imperials will have them also. Some use the Thermoquad. Since the linkage just goes from carb to transmission, a 70s-80s pickup truck or van piece might work.
Thanks for the Info Bro.
Getting ready to mount that intake you sold me a couple of years ago.
Got an Edelbrock 1405 to go on top of it.
Electric choke kit is on the way as we speak.
I read an article that the cop Diplomat / Gran Fury cars stopped using the 727 Transmissions in late 82.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
You're welcome. I am unsure of exact years that have the linkage. The 4 bbl. linkage is 2-3 inches longer than the 2 bbl linkage.

Back