• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

tranns

Reaction score
let me know what yall think. i am getting a 74 cuda. it was a 318 auto car. this is my plan. i have a 97' 360ci. i want a 5 speed and i cant afford a fancy 5 speed. i want to use one out of a 2 wheel drive truck.i had a truck a few years back that was the same set up from the factory. i hammed the stuffins out of that truck and it never let me down. so i think it will work in a cuda. so let me know what you folks think.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I wasn't aware that Chrysler had a 5 spd. trans. in the trucks, guess I never thought about it. Your talking about using the engine and trans out of say a Dakota then?.
Why wouldn't it work?. As long as it fit in the trans. tunnel of the floor pan. May have to come up with some custom mounts and linkages as well as a custom driveshaft, but I'm sure it is doable.

ramenth

Reaction score
Just a thought, but are you after the 5-speed just for the overdrive? Truck transmissions usually have the gear ratios a little more spread, and a little steeper for pulling loads.

If you're after something a little on the more pass car friendly side of things and able to get a good price then there are more options available to you through the salvage yards.

Here's a thread from over on FABO which talked about some of the options and installations.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=85637

I agree with Matt on the installation on the piece you have in mind. A little fab work might have to be done, but anything is doable if you're willing to do it!

Reaction score
update the a body link turned out to be the ticket. i do lot of toyota 4x4truck stuff. so the toyota R154 tranny use the same bell as the 4x4 tranny do.so now i know i can put small block in my truck i building right now.

Back