• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Trans rebuilder

Jim k

Reaction score
need 727 trans rebuilt in Detroit area any recommendations ?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I’ve got a buddy that’s retired that did mine. I’ll check to see if he’d be interested, it is out the car, yes?

Jim k

Reaction score
Yes it’s out of the car. Fluid drained and cleaned up on the outside

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Well my buddy is trying to stay retired so he’s out but I do know of another guy that’s not retired and has been doing these for decades I just need to find his number.

Adam

Reaction score
Actually, it is not to hard to do, and you don’t need any special tools, other than a slide hammer, and maybe a seal driver if you want/need to replace the output shaft bearing (it is somewhat like a cam bearing, but longer).

Get a good kit with heavy duty clutches, bands, and it should have all the gaskets and seals you need. The directions are straight forward, easy to follow. There is an emphasis on clean,clean,clean... I used an old white sheet on my garage floor, to lay everything out.

Whether you do it yourself or not, this is a good time to upgrade to a performance valve body, which really changes the personality of the trans. Also, a higher ratio “band apply lever” and accumulator spring(read up on these, and make your choice).

Go for it. Basically:
you drop the valve body,
pull the front pump assembly, pull the guts out the front,
the clutch discs are held in the guts by a snap ring,
Replace the clutch plates,
Remove and replace the bands,
Replace the apply lever,accumulator spring, if upgrading.
Replace the seal where the valve body shifter comes through the case
Replace front and rear seals,
Put the guts back in, adjust the bands according to the directions (inch pound wrench needed)
Replace valve body, gasket & pan,
Spend the $800 you just saved on something else!

SMR Transmission has a good kit for $263. Includes severe duty Raybestos clutches and Kick down band.

smrtrans.tripod.com

Last edited:

Jim k

Reaction score
Not a chance of me trying it myself Adam. I want a good working trans. Lol. I’ll rebuild an engine but transmissions are way out of my comfort zone.

Jim k

Reaction score
Let me know Matt. I’m in no hurry. Probably be August before I’m ready to get eng n trans back in the car. Doing the rear end and springs right now.

Adam

Reaction score
If you can build an engine, you can build a trans.. at least watch a video... it’s not voodoo.

SMR Trans also has “modular” components already built/upgraded ready for installation...

moparleo

Reaction score
Great advice from Adam. Transmissions have a sort of "VOODOO" reputation but are really straight forward. Just have a nice clean area to work in. Even a couple of saw horses with a 4 X 8 sheet of 3/4" or better plywood/particle board. A couple of clean sheets on it are good advice also. Just follow directions and take your time. When you are done you will wonder why you thought it was going to be hard and complicated. The modular setups are real nice. Just like building an engine, clean, clean, clean. Follow directions and take your time. You can even get a junk trans at the bone yard and practice disassembling it before you tackle the real thing. What makes Mopar people different is that we are not afraid to go for it . Good luck and send us pictures of your stuff.
http://smrtrans.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/MODULARinstallationinstructions

budascuda

Reaction score
Great advice from Adam. Transmissions have a sort of "VOODOO" reputation but are really straight forward. Just have a nice clean area to work in. Even a couple of saw horses with a 4 X 8 sheet of 3/4" or better plywood/particle board. A couple of clean sheets on it are good advice also. Just follow directions and take your time. When you are done you will wonder why you thought it was going to be hard and complicated. The modular setups are real nice. Just like building an engine, clean, clean, clean. Follow directions and take your time. You can even get a junk trans at the bone yard and practice disassembling it before you tackle the real thing. What makes Mopar people different is that we are not afraid to go for it . Good luck and send us pictures of your stuff.
http://smrtrans.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/MODULARinstallationinstructions

Adam's advice is always good...
Practicing the disassembly on a dead transmission
Is a great advice too, I saved destroying my transmission by doing exactly that.

Jim k

Reaction score
I would rather just pay to have a good job done. I have no confidence in doing a good job. I’m more of a body man than anything. Transmission and hanging exhaust are two things just don’t do.

J.O.

Reaction score
Adam's advice is always good...
Practicing the disassembly on a dead transmission
Is a great advice too, I saved destroying my transmission by doing exactly that.
But can you trust any shop to rebuild it? They are used to non Mopar work.

Back