• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Transmission Bracket

money pit

Reaction score
I went to have my 727 rebuilt. The shop told me that there were some brackets/braces that go between the engine and trans. Does anyone have a photo where exactly they go? The engine and trans are a 1974, the engine is a 360. The trans has a floor shifter. Thanks

340challconvert

Reaction score
1639757080645.jpeg

Pic I found of the bracket locations; mine were missing also on my 340

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
How important are they? My Scamp only had one on the passenger side, removed for the rebuild but never put back on. My Barracuda doesn't have them. Should I look to get them installed?

moparleo

Reaction score
The factory would not install something that it didn't have to.
Always trying to keep costs down.
Motor mounts at the front of the engine and transmission mounts at the rear of the trans put a lot of stress in the middle, where the bellhousing attaches to the block. Aluminum trans and cast iron block. Not hard to understand why they did it.
Very few people are the original owners and/or know what gets done under their cars when being serviced. A lot of parts got discarded over the years that the owners are not aware of.
Oil filter clearance and header clearance were 2 of the reasons they were removed.
If you have them and they clear, install them.

70chall440

Reaction score
I cannot speak for the engineer who designed them but I will say that from my experience those bars were put there in part at least to provide a bit of insurance from the bellhousing/trans bolts from loosening and creating problems for the consumer. Likewise, given that these were/are unibody cars the engine and trans become a part of the overall structure of the car to a point and I believe that these bars were a part of that concept.

As far as whether or not they are important or needed, well I would say that the vast majority of 60's, 70's and perhaps 80's cars don't have them if they were ever messed with (hot rodded, engine pulled, etc.) so from a strength aspect I do not think they lend any value. I am not saying you shouldn't use them, I am saying that if you don't have them your engine and trans are not going to break in half.

I will say this up front, I once cracked a 727 case doing a burnout because the bolts had loosened up and the trans was flopping around some, had I had these bars that probably wouldn't have happened (although I couldn't use the drivers side due to the headers).

Put another way, they will not hurt anything so long as they fit, therefore use them if you have them.

flohemi

Reaction score
They are important, will your car break without them, most likely not but they are there for torque twist of the trans, they had them on trucks also, if you have them put them on, if you don't have any and plan on beating on your car get a set and install them, they were designed to be there. I'm a 25 plus year dealership tech and like I said both cars and trucks had them.

Back