• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Trim Tag fastening?

gpm6367

Reaction score
What originally fastened a 1971 Challenger Trim Tag to fender well? I know it’s not riveted. Phillips head? Feel free to post photos of original tags as example.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Fender tags were fastened to the top of the inner fender by phillips head screws. Never riveted!
I believe from my research, one screw, originally was body colored as the car went down the line, then further toward completion, an unpainted screw was added to finally screw the plate down. Others may have additional information on this.
Dino2 (2).gif

gpm6367

Reaction score
9C8F59AF-CED1-4E38-85A8-CC80DC41A1F1.png
Thanks for information; these don't seem to match. Which head contour is correct?

340challconvert

Reaction score
Example of the one painted/ one non painted screw.
Nothing carved in stone with Mopars.
My understanding is that sometimes the data plate screws were like this one. Some cars came with both screws painted, and some came out with neither screw painted?

4iNyZIbu4Rs8A7RQD8egMnw37np5qhubw-iW_rnePx47OHiWHs8wECi8xhS-LcznsOlHDOj_xDjiLEsvxdrF98-vF_isfIiQ.jpg

And in some cases; you can see where the original tag was bent up on the right side before being screwed back down.
topic=3188.jpg

gpm6367

Reaction score
Example of the one painted/ one non painted screw.
Nothing carved in stone with Mopars.
My understanding is that sometimes the data plate screws were like this one. Some cars came with both screws painted, and some came out with neither screw painted?

View attachment 67833

And in some cases; you can see where the original tag was bent up on the right side before being screwed back down.
View attachment 67834

So it looks like the screw heads on both those tags match the one on the right in the photo I posted?

moparlee

Reaction score
If everything else is correct, legit, and solid on the car, don't let one incorrect screw on the fender tag keep you from buying the car. It could even be that MaMopar ran out of the correct screws on that assembly day, who knows. It has happened on more significant items.

gpm6367

Reaction score

340challconvert

Reaction score
Saw your other posting on looking at the 71 Challenger to buy.
As moparlee said; do not let an incorrect screw deter you from considering the car.
These are 50 year old cars and anything could have been changed in that time or the factory could have just used two different screws. It is not a major point.
The main thing is that the serial number on the fender tag matches the numbers on the chassis. (driver's side near the top of radiator core support and driver's side top of cowl)
Dino2 (2).gif

gpm6367

Reaction score
Saw your other posting on looking at the 71 Challenger to buy.
As moparlee said; do not let an incorrect screw deter you from considering the car.
These are 50 year old cars and anything could have been changed in that time or the factory could have just used two different screws. It is not a major point.
The main thing is that the serial number on the fender tag matches the numbers on the chassis. (driver's side near the top of radiator core support and driver's side top of cowl)
View attachment 67871
Thank u

budascuda

Reaction score
The correct screws are different in size.
In fact, that is the first thing I look for. It doesn't mean that the tag is the original, just that the detail was not overlooked.

gpm6367

Reaction score
The correct screws are different in size.
In fact, that is the first thing I look for. It doesn't mean that the tag is the original, just that the detail was not overlooked.

You mean the two screws were different in size from the factory?

budascuda

Reaction score
Yes, they were different size HEADs from the factlry.
That little fact made them "rightous".

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
If you think about it, some cars coming down the line that would have the fender tag bent up slightly in adding a 2nd tag or ac tag, then bent back and screwed down toward the end of the build run have a different second screw size, coming from a different fasteners bin.
It seems there is no set rule with this, since it seems some cars had two different size screws and some had two of the same.
Unless you have an original tag that was never removed from an unmodified car; you really can't determine exactly what your car came with.
If you go by mopar lee's factory engineering screw size chart, it shows only one size.
As with Ma Mopar, never say never on anything.

Ha, learn something new everyday. That is what is great about this site. Thanks

Personally, it would not be a major point of contention for me in a decision to buy or not buy a car. JMO

Dino2 (2).gif

gpm6367

Reaction score
B4D8D326-0BF0-40D9-927F-6692552C7394.png
So these 2 different screw heads could be original? Amazing.

budascuda

Reaction score
Since 1984 when I bought my first challenger as a young man, I have kept note of the screw size on the tags and 6 cars later, plus all the original condition cars that I have seen, they were all different sizes. I think the first time I came across that oddity was in 1984/85 and quite by chance I saw an editorial in the Mopar Muscle magazine regarding this.
But as 340 says, other more important thing should be considered, the screw size is just an amusing factoid, That's all.

gpm6367

Reaction score
Since 1984 when I bought my first challenger as a young man, I have kept note of the screw size on the tags and 6 cars later, plus all the original condition cars that I have seen, they were all different sizes. I think the first time I came across that oddity was in 1984/85 and quite by chance I saw an editorial in the Mopar Muscle magazine regarding this.
But as 340 says, other more important thing should be considered, the screw size is just an amusing factoid, That's all.

Understood and I have been guilty in the past of doing things to cars based upon what I thought was correct and then finding out afterwards I altered an original. Certainly not make or break in terms of whether or not to buy the car but if there’s any chance is the way to the car came from the factory is being left that way.

Back