• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Valve cover gasket advice

Litchkar

Reaction score
I am looking for a recommendation on valve cover gaskets. I have a SB with aluminum heads and cast aluminum valve covers. I am looking for a high quality gaskets that I can reuse with out goobs of silicone to prevent annoying leaks. Any recommendations?

moper

Reaction score
I've used the same process and parts since the 80s with stamped and cast covers, all engines: Cork gaskets or whatever brand you can get, clean the covers to get off any oil even from your skin. I use brake clean on a shop paper towel. Use 3M weatherstrip adhesive and glue the gasket to the cover making sure the holes are lined up properly. Clean the head flange the same way. Leave it totally dry. Install the cover, and use a 1/4 drive wratchet and just your wrist to tighten them. I've found overtighening, overzealous use of silicone, and oil residue are the most common causes for leaks. I get a lot of re-torques without needing to replace the gaskets.

Back