• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Water Damaged Barracuda

scottylack

Reaction score
Ok, so I bought a Barracuda that got dunked in Hurricane sandy. Besides all the metal work, Im going through the dash... obviously my dash cluster is shot...It took a major hit. But Im wondering about the switches and harness. Arent they watertight? If I cleaned up the contacts, shouldnt they work? Im figuring the harness should be ok... as long as I clean all the contacts? The wire wouldnt e damaged...right?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
You asked me about an instrument cluster and I’m sur I have one that’ll work for your car and if I do it still has the entire dash harness still attached. I likely have the rest of the harnesses for you front to back. Probably not much in the way of switches though.

KATSAAR

Reaction score
salt water ??
replace everything.
nothing but troubles in the future.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
These are the 4 I have left complete with harnesses. The one at the bottom is correct for ‘70 Challenger but should still work for you.
A9D36174-4AD9-40BB-B852-7C5027A00EC5.jpeg

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Matt, are you aware that there are 2 standard cluster frames for Challenger in 70? One won't work in the Cuda.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Matt, are you aware that there are 2 standard cluster frames for Challenger in 70? One won't work in the Cuda.
That’s what’s great about this site. I didn’t see a difference in the housings but I wasn’t looking for one either.

rklein71

Reaction score
I don't see a reason to replace the wiring harness. Rinse it off with fresh water and dry it off. A lot of switches can easily be disassembled by bending small tabs back. Would allow you to rinse them off and then dry. I bet a lot can be saved. Rod

fastmark

Reaction score
48 year old wiring and switches are questionable in the first place. Now they have been dunked in salt water? No way would I trust them. I have a part time resto shop and I still have problems with people that want to skimp money on wiring and gauges. It bites them in the a$$ every time. I live in a dry climate and it still gives problems. I won’t do a car anymore with all the gauges and wires replaced,restored or bought new. I’ve seen cars burn up because someone wanted to save a buck.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Logically, what not just get replacement instrument cluster w gauges and the harness?

You can rebuild individual gauges if needed and inspect their condition and the new harness for any loose wires. Why do all the work of pulling the dash and putting the old questionable set up back in.
I'm not getting 10%, but I would look at Matt's dash/harness. The worst that happens, you have an extra standard dash and extra gauges.

My understanding regarding the two dashes for 1970; I think the gauges are physically the same and fit, but the face plates between the Barracuda and standard Challenger dashes had different "lettering" styles. You could reuse the plastic housings from your original dash.

Do the alternator gauge alterations also (convert to volts or disconnect). this is usually the problem gauge that causes most problems.

One other thought; take this opportunity to install a rallye dash. More expensive, but could be worth it!
Dino2 (1).gif

challenger6pak

Reaction score
non ribbed bezel.jpg
ribbed bezel.jpg
@DetMatt1 My computer went down and I can't post pics to show the 70 Challenger difference. In 70 two cast cluster housings were used for non rallye gauges; one for the Cuda and Challenger with woodgrain or black. This is the squared off bezel. The pods at the bottom of the housing that hold the warning lights stick out to cause a tunnel where they meet the bezel. The 70 Challenger ribbed non rallye cluster uses a cast housing where the warning light pods are almost even with the base of the housing. This is because of the shape of the ribbed bezel. The squared off bezel will fit the ribbed cast frame, but it will not seal the lights from bleeding out into the cluster when they are on.

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
Would he be able to use just the gauges from the replacement gauge cluster?
The original plastic bezel and clear face plate should be reuse able. Clean up the "new" used gauges, repair as needed or test and install. You could always spend the money to rebuild the gauges and buy a reproduction harness dependent on budget.
Just my thoughts!
Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:

challenger6pak

Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge all standard cluster gauges are interchangable.

scottylack

Reaction score
I already replaced the cluster. It was shot. Now I’m working on the wiring. Hopefully by cleaning the terminals and replacing switches where needed I can get this to work...

Jimmyspeed59

Reaction score
D8AF7692-873D-4B39-8F63-A5AB7B9D97E7.jpeg
Or you could use this opportunity to install new custom gauges. I did these for about 750 using my standard gauge cluster and lens. Also uses GPS speedometer so no need to worry about gear and tire combos. Just a suggestion.

Jimmyspeed59

Reaction score
That was on my 70 challenger but you can do the same thing on your Cuda.

Jimmyspeed59

Reaction score
FA8CEF9E-5ADC-4610-BE46-5E99CC0BAD3B.jpeg
The radio is a pioneer DEH-X6810BT very inexpensive and easy to install without hacking any of the dash or trim parts. I only had to cut the trim piece that came with the radio because it interfered with the stock trim. The gauges I got from SPEEDHUT. They custom make the gauges with any color you want. Check out their website the possibilities are endless. I posted a video on you tube on how I used a stock standard cluster to do this. Hope this helps.

aussiemark

Reaction score
With wiring I have found some harnesses are very usable while others need replacing I think it depends on the way the car was treated during it's life, if it was always parked in the shade the wiring insulation wouldn't get baked like a car sitting in the sun with the windows wound up. Humidity and water leaks will cause corrosion between contacts and the extra resistance will cause the wire to get hot and this will damage the wire I recently bought a used standard dash wiring harness and it is like new the firewall plug and fuse block are in great shape, the wiring insulation is still soft and the visible copper strands, globe sockets and fuse holders are shiny. If the insulation cracks when you bend a wire or if the copper strands are dull, dark coloured or green then you risk short circuits, resistance related electrical issues or a car fire. You can test each wire in the harness for volt drop with a multi meter if it passes a close visual inspection just to be sure.

Last edited:
Back