• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What engine is this?

sfort

Reaction score
This engine came with my 73 challenger but the I.D. tags are gone. Is there a way to figure out what this engine is. Can i pull the intake and pan and get numbers off the rods and pistons and figure out what I got?

105_1012.jpg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
There should be casting #'s on the sides of the block. Can you pull it out of the box? You should NOT need to disassemble the engine to figure it out.

sfort

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the input. I also got a response from MPP and there is a good chance it is the 380hp motor. It has a single plane intake that I will change to a dual plane. I know MPP has one and Edelbrock has some. I am looking for making the motor more street friendly. I have read they are not if using and auto transmission which I plan to do. Any recommendations?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
It depends a lot on the rest of the combo , I cannot remember what cam is in the engine but if you have enough converter & gear it may work great as is , I would be more inclined to put in a milder cam , the intake may be fine . try it first , it is easy to swap the intake for an RPM air gap later

jbearden

Reaction score
I remember when these motors first came out.Mopar Muscle did dyno tests on them and got closer to 400-420 with a mild tune.I've heard more good things about them than bad.

sfort

Reaction score
I remember when these motors first came out.Mopar Muscle did dyno tests on them and got closer to 400-420 with a mild tune.I've heard more good things about them than bad.
That is good to hear!

Back