• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

what is a CUDA?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Well, if thats true that would be a new one for me and I will check on that. Thanks for the info.

I will see if I can find the VIN for a 73 cuda that I owened a few years back. Pretty sure the sequence was JS23GB------
Cuda will be BS for all years. Challenger is JS for 70-72. Then it became the A57 option code. Who knows why it was done this way.

modfly

Reaction score
Cuda will be BS for all years. Challenger is JS for 70-72. Then it became the A57 option code. Who knows why it was done this way.

I see. Ok I will check out the 73-74 challenger code A57. I may have just learned something new. Thanks for the disscussion guys :wave:

Matter of fact, I will check my 73 challenger to see if it has that code. The VIN sequence on that car is JH23G3B------ but it has a ralley dash, disk brakes front, 8.3/4 axle rear.

DSC07914.jpg

DSC07916.jpg

DSC07917.jpg

DSC07927.jpg

DSC07920.jpg

DSC07940.jpg

DSC07932.jpg

DSC07939.jpg

DSC07921.jpg

Last edited:

modfly

Reaction score
Here's the Challenger code.

Well, that pretty much spells it out. I see you guys are on the ball here. I'm impressed. Thanks for the info. Goes to show an old dog can learn or re-learn a thing or two! :sign13:

The pictures I posted above were taken today 11-12-11

The car in the pictures above is a 73 Challenger with bumper mods and 73 440 (cast crank) with 11'' flywheel and cast iron 11'' bell housing with overdrive 4 speed and 4.11 gears. Motor is bone stock (internally) fresh from a motor home.

I just did the body work on this car last summer but ran out of time before I could paint it. I took it down to bare metal, Gave it a etching primer coat or two, then did the plastic work, then gave it a 1k primer coat for now. This car features all original sheet metal and floor and trunk pans although some repairs were done to the panels.

DSC07933.jpg

DSC07937.jpg

Last edited:

challenger6pak

Reaction score
It could be a Rallye. They came with 318's also. In 1973 front discs became standard equipment. Have a good one.

modfly

Reaction score
It could be a Rallye. They came with 318's also. In 1973 front discs became standard equipment. Have a good one.

Yea, now I remember that. One again guys, thanks for the refresher course and I'm sure other members found the info useful as well.

Regards
modfly

modfly

Reaction score
Oh, one more thing, no not more boring tech talk..I will be doing a burn out video of the challenger at the rolling acres mall soon. I will post the video here :wave:

edit.. I also will do one of my 72 Barracuda..Yes a Barracuda not a cuda.

The Barracuda is only a 318 2v (4 speed OD) but I think you will be impressed.

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
11" front brakes were std until 72 or 73 , you had to option disc
Cuda in 70-71 had a minimum 383 or the AAR 340 Cuda
in 72 the big block was no longer available so a Cuda would have a 340 or 360

modfly

Reaction score
11" front brakes were std until 72 or 73 , you had to option disc
Cuda in 70-71 had a minimum 383 or the AAR 340 Cuda
in 72 the big block was no longer available so a Cuda would have a 340 or 360

Well, 11'' drums were standard on the cuda up to 1972 accoding to the data presented here.

I guess most people around here opted for the disk brakes over the 11'' drums on the cuda because I have never seen one with 11'' drums front or rear but have learned in this disscussion, that they do exist on paper at least.

Now for the 72 Barracuda..It came standard with manual 10'' drum brakes all around for sure! Thats whats on mine. I recently upgraded the brakes to power 10'' drums. I have a power brake conversion kit for sale on ebay. I used a similar kit to upgrade my Barracuda.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Men, can someone clarify the proper credentials for a true CUDA? Was it a performance package? a trim package? what years was it offered? did it have to have a certain engine? I checked several web sited and they seem to call all 70-74 baracudas CUDA.....thanks for any details, Walt:icon_salut:
Go through the original data book that is posted here and you will be able to see what the differences between the Barracuda, Cuda, and Gran Coupe are.
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dealerships/1970PlymouthDealershipDataBook-01.shtml

pagilman

Reaction score
Oh, one more thing, no not more boring tech talk..I will be doing a burn out video of the challenger at the rolling acres mall soon. I will post the video here :wave:

edit.. I also will do one of my 72 Barracuda..Yes a Barracuda not a cuda.

The Barracuda is only a 318 2v (4 speed OD) but I think you will be impressed.

Hell, I'll drive to Akron to see that....

Cranky

Reaction score
Had a 70 U code Cuda in the mid 80's and it had 11" brakes all around and no rear sway bar and never saw a 70 Cuda with a 318. Did run across one 70 Barracuda with a 383 2 bbl....

VeteranCosmicRocker

Reaction score
Nope. I have owned several cuda's with a 318 2v (JS23G)

I have never heard of or seen a /6 cuda in the 30+ years that I have been in the hobby. As far as I know, You must have a v8 and the bottom v8 is the 318 (G code)
I guess you mean BS23G for a Plymouth. Were they 72-74 ? I thought 70-71 Cudas only had hi-po engines.

3404speed

Reaction score
Pagilman....the scheduled build date on your tag is 731.... that might be on of the last of the 73 models that rolled off the line.

71 gtx

Reaction score
I don't think so. I have never seen 11'' inch brakes on a E body. Front disk brakes come with the cuda package. Factory E body cuda's did not have front drum brakes period.

Power Disk brakes were an option on the Barracuda and Challenger. Came standard with the cuda or Ralley package.

The Ralley package is the equivalent to the cuda package on the Challenger. The Challenger Ralley have a special VIN as well if it was ordered with the Ralley package (JS23). Other wise it would be (JH23).

There is a possibility that a Hemi or (440 U code) cuda has 11'' rear brakes. I will check into it.

My 70 CUDA came with Drums up front....BS23N0B car....and my old 71 Challenger R/T, which is the same basic performance package as the Cuda's, had drums up front too....

Back