• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

what is a CUDA?

pagilman

Reaction score
Men, can someone clarify the proper credentials for a true CUDA? Was it a performance package? a trim package? what years was it offered? did it have to have a certain engine? I checked several web sited and they seem to call all 70-74 baracudas CUDA.....thanks for any details, Walt:icon_salut:

modfly

Reaction score
Men, can someone clarify the proper credentials for a true CUDA? Was it a performance package? a trim package? what years was it offered? did it have to have a certain engine? I checked several web sited and they seem to call all 70-74 baracudas CUDA.....thanks for any details, Walt:icon_salut:

Yea Walt, I noticed that as well. No shame in having a Barracuda (BH23). First off, a "cuda" has a unique VIN designation. If it does not have the designation, its not a cuda but rather a Barracuda. The cuda package included disk brakes, front and rear sway bar with (318-340-360-383) motor. The 440 cuda (U code) cars did not have a rear sway bar. 8-3/4 rear axle came with the package as well. You also got a console and slap stick shifter with the cuda package or you could order it with a pistol grip shifter (4 speed) with or without a console.
The cuda option was available on all 70-74 Barracuda's.

Its easy to upgrade a Barracuda to cuda specs and I suspect that is what a lot of people do but to be a true factory cuda, the vin stars with this sequence...BS23

So you can see that the cuda option was mostly a handling package with a V8. any V8 including the 318.

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Cuda was actually first used in 69 as a peformance package possible only big block cars

challenger6pak

Reaction score
No, you can't get one with a 6. They came with heavy duty brakes standard. These were 11 inch drums. Discs were optional on all Barracuda's/Cuda's.

modfly

Reaction score
No, you can't get one with a 6. They came with heavy duty brakes standard. These were 11 inch drums. Discs were optional on all Barracuda's/Cuda's.

I don't think so. I have never seen 11'' inch brakes on a E body. Front disk brakes come with the cuda package. Factory E body cuda's did not have front drum brakes period.

Power Disk brakes were an option on the Barracuda and Challenger. Came standard with the cuda or Ralley package.

The Ralley package is the equivalent to the cuda package on the Challenger. The Challenger Ralley have a special VIN as well if it was ordered with the Ralley package (JS23). Other wise it would be (JH23).

There is a possibility that a Hemi or (440 U code) cuda has 11'' rear brakes. I will check into it.

Last edited:

modfly

Reaction score
I thought a "Cuda" only was equipped with a high-performance engine (340, 383 4-bbl, etc..... ) ?

Nope. I have owned several cuda's with a 318 2v (JS23G)

I have never heard of or seen a /6 cuda in the 30+ years that I have been in the hobby. As far as I know, You must have a v8 and the bottom v8 is the 318 (G code)

modfly

Reaction score
Why i'm asking is one web site claims you can get one with a /6.

Easy way to tell is if the VIN sequence is like this BS23...other wise is is not a cuda but rather a Barracuda BH23

A /6 cuda VIN would read BS23C.

C = 225 slant six.

I did see of a Ralley challenger with a /6 on ebay but I did not think to check the VIN. A ralley challenger with a /6 would have a VIN like this JS23C...

modfly

Reaction score
Cuda was actually first used in 69 as a peformance package possible only big block cars

Yes thats true and it was available (cuda option package) on the "A" platform barracuda in 69. Details on these cars are sketchy as very few were built with the cuda option in 69.

3404speed

Reaction score
69 "Cuda" had a couple small scoops on the hood and upgraded suspension etc. Ones I have seen were 340 cars.

I have a 71 Cuda 340 with front drums
also a 70 Challenger R/T 383 with front drums

challenger6pak

Reaction score
See pic. S is for standard E is for extra cost. This is from the dealer guide that was used when the cars were ordered new.

I don't think so. I have never seen 11'' inch brakes on a E body. Front disk brakes come with the cuda package. Factory E body cuda's did not have front drum brakes period.

Power Disk brakes were an option on the Barracuda and Challenger. Came standard with the cuda or Ralley package.

The Ralley package is the equivalent to the cuda package on the Challenger. The Challenger Ralley have a special VIN as well if it was ordered with the Ralley package (JS23). Other wise it would be (JH23).

There is a possibility that a Hemi or (440 U code) cuda has 11'' rear brakes. I will check into it.

70_Barracuda0005.jpg

modfly

Reaction score
69 "Cuda" had a couple small scoops on the hood and upgraded suspension etc. Ones I have seen were 340 cars.

I agreed that the 69 barracuda had the cuda option but did not agree that all were big blocks. Yes, I believe that the majority were 340 cars.

I have a 71 Cuda 340 with front drums
also a 70 Challenger R/T 383 with front drums

Well, I have seen 70 cuda models with drum brakes but not on the 71. It may be something that a certain plant did but once again, I would like to see the VIN numbers of these cars.

Not saying that it can't be (in the case of a 70 model) I'm just saying here in the North East, most of the cars around here were built in michingan (plant B) and every cuda and challenger BS23-JS23 cars I have seen had 10'' Power disk brakes. It is possible some cars lost there disks to drums by people wanting to keep the disks for another car because drums on a HP car suck. I use to rob cars that I was selling for the ones I was keeping back in the day. I don't do that now:happy7:

challenger6pak

Reaction score

The Cuda is equal to the R/T or the later Rallye package as long as you are comparing the same years. For instance, 70 Cuda is more of a performance package than the 74 Challenger Rallye is. The 74 Cuda and &4 Challenger Rallye are equal. The Rallye package was a JS ONLY in 1972. In 73 and 74, it was an option code on the fender tag.

modfly

Reaction score
See pic. S is for standard E is for extra cost. This is from the dealer guide that was used when the cars were ordered new.

Yea, your chart is for the 70 model only.

I will concede that the 70 model cuda could have had 11' drum brakes.

modfly

Reaction score
The Cuda is equal to the R/T or the later Rallye package as long as you are comparing the same years. For instance, 70 Cuda is more of a performance package than the 74 Challenger Rallye is. The 74 Cuda and &4 Challenger Rallye are equal. The Rallye package was a JS ONLY in 1972. In 73 and 74, it was an option code on the fender tag.

Well, if thats true that would be a new one for me and I will check on that. Thanks for the info.

I will see if I can find the VIN for a 73 cuda that I owened a few years back. Pretty sure the sequence was JS23G3B ------

Last edited:
Back