• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What is This Part Called And Am I Missing One?

1970GranCoupeCo

Reaction score
On the passenger side of my engine there is a metal bar that is connects a boss on the oil pan rail to the bolt on the Torqueflite bell and I noticed that the driver side has a large bolt and a boss on the oil pan rail but there is not the same metal connecting bar.

I vaguely remember circa 1985 when I removed and rebuilt the transmission that there was two of these bars and for some reason I did not reinstall it (maybe conflicted with the headers or something). Here is a picture of what I am talking (typing) about.

What is this bar called and do I need one?

The reason for the removal of the transmission was...one late nigh whilst street racing on Ringwood Road the planetary carrier assembly on split while I performing an excessively "exuberant" 1 -2 up shift with a really solid shift kit and the transmission made a horrible grinding sound as the internal splines of the aluminum planetary carrier were being filed off by the splines of the output shaft. After that the car only had reverse so I drove it home in reverse...passed some lady in a Honda...she had a surprised look on her face. My neck was sore for a couple of days.

Thanks

Attachments

• Engine Support.pdf
    91.6 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:

moparleo

Reaction score
The factory didn't spend extra money for things they didn't think were necessary.
It is a brace between a cast iron engine attached to an aluminum transmission. Not hard to see why they did it.

70chall440

Reaction score
Normally thrown away pretty quickly, I've never ran them and cannot say I know/knew anyone who did unless the car was bone stock or a restoration. Never seen any on drag cars and they don't seem to be breaking anything abnormally as a result. In other words, if you are looking for restoration correct then yes you need them, if you have a driver or hot rod then probably not.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
They are meant to keep the flex plate from cracking or breaking. The movement may only seem, at most, like a vibration. In some set ups, it is enough movement to break parts. This is over a duration of time. Drag cars don't normally get enough duration or miles to cause issues.

1970GranCoupeCo

Reaction score
Lookey here what I found in an old box.

I presume that these were bare metal? I doubt they were painted on the engine. Does anyone know?

bracket.jpg

Last edited:

1970GranCoupeCo

Reaction score
>Look at what ? No pictures.

Sorry I was working on a handheld and I guess the picture did not upload. I just fixed it.

It is a picture of my wayward "Transmission support bracket".

Are they supposed to be bare steel, black, or engine color?

Back