• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What junk yard transmission can I pluck and slap in?

elnielsen

Reaction score
I have a 1971 barracuda 318/a904-la, and the trans is $1600 to rebuild before even a shift kit..

What vehicle can I find at pick n pull, grab the tranny and slap it right in and go?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Depends what you mean by slap in , 904 or 727 basically bolt in .
The 500 & 518 also bolt in but require a shorter driveshaft & electronics to control the lockup .
a A833 OD will also bolt in if it comes from behind a small block truck or van but require pedals & linkages etc .

WDO72

Reaction score
I have a 318 and 904 combo that came out of my 72 'cuda. The engine and trans are still coupled together in my garage. They are not original to the car, but they were working just fine when I pulled them out. If you're interested, let me know. I'm north of SF. Make an offer.

elnielsen

Reaction score
I have a 318 and 904 combo that came out of my 72 'cuda. The engine and trans are still coupled together in my garage. They are not original to the car, but they were working just fine when I pulled them out. If you're interested, let me know. I'm north of SF. Make an offer.
@WDO72 Couple hundred bucks for just the 904? I'm just looking for a holdover until I pull the 318/904 out of mine and have it sitting in my garage. I have 1st and 2nd and some of reverse, but I could not commute while we swap the drive train on my wrangler YJ starting this weekend. Gonna go to Good Guys this weekend in Pleasanton, and bringing the truck, since were putting thinkers on about drive train upgrade for the muscle car.

My 318 runs great, rebuilt the carb and did the crank bearings and front end. It just won't peel out and I have a 7 1/4" open diff rear end... It did when I bought it, not sure why, prob had it timed way in advance since it was running so badly. It's numbers matching but if no one cares about 318s by now, no one will ever care..

Last edited:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I have a 1971 barracuda 318/a904-la, and the trans is $1600 to rebuild before even a shift kit..

What vehicle can I find at pick n pull, grab the tranny and slap it right in and go?
Is that $1600 to pull, rebuild and reinstall??

Ele115

Reaction score
You can find cars with a 318 in it in a pick n pull?
The junkyards by me have nothing older than 2009. They are divided into three sections: Kia/Hyundai, VW/Audi and Ford.

If you got real lucky, the 727 from a 79-81ish 360 St Regis, New Yorker Police car would be a great candidate for a rebuild and stick that in there

chargerdon

Reaction score
Or pull your 904 and rebuild it yourself!!!! Rebuilt kit consisting of new clutches and seals runs right around $150. There is a 904 rebuild video on youtube thats gives you step by step instructions.

Assuming it has never been touched before, and just needs a simple rebuild of the clutches and seals, (most likely) you can do it in about 8 hours start to finish. Its not that difficult...just follow the youtube. Make sure you keep everything organized as you remove the parts.

PS...there are rebuild manuals from TCI that you can buy, but, they can drive you nuts talking about measuring tolerances and adjusting the sizes to get just right. IGNORE all of that and tear it down and reassemble and the tolerances assuming your using a factory style rebuild kit will be right on...

Tools you will need besides sockets and wrenches are a good set of snap ring pliers as there are many in there that hold things together, and a slide hammer to get out the front pump. You will also need a tool you can make to depress the spring on the clutch paks. I made one myself out of a long all thread bolt and a U shaped bracket. Biggest problem i encountered was simply dropping the transmission down (i used a simple floor jack, with a 12" square piece of plywood) and then getting the front of the car high enough to be able to slide the huge bell housing out from under the car. BUT if you replace the tranny you have those issues anyways !!

michael bucklew

Reaction score

years ago, Hot Rod magazine did a comparison by a known drag racer between the 904 and the 727---end result that there was not that much difference. if you rebuild the 904, put in heavier clutches and a stage 1 shift kit

gzig5

Reaction score
If that is paying them to pull and reinstall, it isn't a bad price. If for only a rebuild, find another shop. I pulled/installed my 727 and the rebuild to 500+ lb-ft spec with bolt in sprag, shift kit, and a 2500rpm converter was $1200. Which I thought was fair. Only thing that is going to bolt in is another 904 or 727 which is probably going to need a rebuild unless you get lucky and find one that is usable.

john mccoy

Reaction score
Where are you located? I have a SB727 that has been in storage for a number of years that came with a project I purchased. It's supposedly a rebuild from Brewers Performance. I haven't opened it up but it looks brand new on the outside. I don't need and would be willing to part with it. It's located in central Ohio

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Where are you located? I have a SB727 that has been in storage for a number of years that came with a project I purchased. It's supposedly a rebuild from Brewers Performance. I haven't opened it up but it looks brand new on the outside. I don't need and would be willing to part with it. It's located in central Ohio
Brewers did an automatic?

elnielsen

Reaction score
Is that $1600 to pull, rebuild and reinstall??
It was delivered to them and picked up 60 miles away.. My master mechanic mentor's guys... who delivered 4...yes 4.... shift shaft seals before I got it right......

elnielsen

Reaction score
Or pull your 904 and rebuild it yourself!!!! Rebuilt kit consisting of new clutches and seals runs right around $150. There is a 904 rebuild video on youtube thats gives you step by step instructions.

Assuming it has never been touched before, and just needs a simple rebuild of the clutches and seals, (most likely) you can do it in about 8 hours start to finish. Its not that difficult...just follow the youtube. Make sure you keep everything organized as you remove the parts.

PS...there are rebuild manuals from TCI that you can buy, but, they can drive you nuts talking about measuring tolerances and adjusting the sizes to get just right. IGNORE all of that and tear it down and reassemble and the tolerances assuming your using a factory style rebuild kit will be right on...

Tools you will need besides sockets and wrenches are a good set of snap ring pliers as there are many in there that hold things together, and a slide hammer to get out the front pump. You will also need a tool you can make to depress the spring on the clutch paks. I made one myself out of a long all thread bolt and a U shaped bracket. Biggest problem i encountered was simply dropping the transmission down (i used a simple floor jack, with a 12" square piece of plywood) and then getting the front of the car high enough to be able to slide the huge bell housing out from under the car. BUT if you replace the tranny you have those issues anyways !!
I appreciate the enthusiasm! however, this started as a drip and a front pump seal replacement. Dropped the tranny, replaced th efront pump seal.. Should we do anything else while it's out? "Nope", Installed the tranny, issued dropping into drive on the highway, advanced deducery with the kickdown lever employed. Lacked the advanced and deducery requirements.. Still leaked.. Looks like from the shift shaft seal.. Gouged the orig seal out of the car trans installed. Gouged horribly, ruined. Some guy at a tranny shop that had a new old stock shift shaft on his shelf in a 1971 box, shipped it to me for $50! Thanks for saving a spot on your shelf for 50 years for 50 dollars in 2021! Replaced the shaft, installed seal with slide hammer, destroyed. Next one installed with a delicate makeshift bolt slide hammer, success!! throw the valve body in there, assemble everything under master mechanic watchful eye, this time. Everything looks like it goes together right.

First run was the best run, only a small portion of the getting into drive. Each subsequent run, gets worse, and my fidgeting with the kick down lever makes it worse. Mechanic says check the governor, sometimes it can get impacted with debris. He told a story "I would not have beliueved it had I not seen it with my own eyes".. I guess back in the 70s, a solution was to be going down the road at some decent speed, throw it in Park while driving.. Because the vehicle is moving, the pins cannot catch, and it won't actually destroy it, but it will cause it to BANG, which does break free any debris impeding the governor. So I learn what a governor is, I remove the tailshaft (I think the way I learned how is watching the segment of video's you quote, the section they cover tailshaft removal. So I get that off, I remove the governor, and I cannot find any debris or thing out of the ordinary to impact it, and it appears to move freely.

After that my mechanic says well.. Since it seems like it warms up and gets worse, and since your governor is not the problem, it sounds like it's losing pressure and either it's a valve issue or you're losing pressure due to a failing pump. Oh, and I was losing revers, it slips terribly. We filled to level and that did not stop it. So he says you're at rebuild time. At this point there's no business testing pressures and diagnosing further..

So, now I'm like I don't want an automatic transmission anyway.. If I'm going to rebuild anything it'll be what I do want, and maybe something new, so I can stop wrenching and start driving lord knows the neighbors have seen this thing in the air longer than they've seen it on the ground..

elnielsen

Reaction score
years ago, Hot Rod magazine did a comparison by a known drag racer between the 904 and the 727---end result that there was not that much difference. if you rebuild the 904, put in heavier clutches and a stage 1 shift kit
I also read that its 20-30lbs lighter and can be outfitted with as strong components...

elnielsen

Reaction score
Appreciate it, I'm 7 miles from the ocean on the left..

Back