• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What parts do I need to go with on my 440?

Jireh Customs

Reaction score
I have a 1974 model 440. I want to make some major upgrades. I am considering an 8/71 supercharger and not sure which internals and heads to go with. This is going to be a street/strip car with frequint cruis-ins and car shows. I want to be able to drive it and not have to make adjustments every time before I leave the house. What should I go with and why?

kursplat

Reaction score
a really good engine shop...
sounds like fun, good luck

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Don't over drive the blower if it's mostly street. Use aluminam heads, less chance of detonation, and maybe o-ring them if you plan to boost the motor a little more at the track by changing pulleys. Forged pistons for sure. Cast rods and crank should be okay, but if the block will be bored, Summit has a great kit from "Skat" (I think that's the spelling) that has the whole rotating assembly "forged" at a reasonable price. Cam selection is critical for blown motors, ask the cam supplier for the right cam for your application. Good luck!

Jireh Customs

Reaction score
Someone else told me to use forged rotating assy. I was also told that stock heads would be fine since I was planning on force feeding them. Why is there more chance of detination with iron heads?

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Jireh - Alum heads displace heat faster, so less chance of detonation with a lower grade gas, and no boosters or no racing fuel required.

Back