• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What shocks are you running ?

Jimmer

Reaction score
since I'm replacing my leaf springs , shocks are in order !!
What are you running and why ?
I'm pretty sure I'll get bilstiens .

People who are running bilstiens how do you like them ?

Who did you get them from ?

Thanks
Jim

moparleo

Reaction score
I been using KYB gas for over 40 years. Excellent shocks, Bilstein are very good also. Just depends on the rest of your suspension set-up and driving style. Are you replacing the springs to get the rear up ? If so you need to order a plus 1" or plus 2" or they will still be low. The squat is actually how the rear suspensions came new from Mopar. All of my E-body cars over the years sat low in the rear. The shocks will not affect the height of the rear. Only airshocks ( bad news) support weight when aired up.

Jimmer

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Leo.
I have tried several pairs of kyb's .
I have heard bilstiens are much better ?
I'm trying to see what others are using ?
Jim

Avalanche

Reaction score
QA1 single adjustable. It's nice to adjust the shock to the ride your looking for. They also make double adjustable, but are very expensive.
I haven't installed them yet, so can't tell you how they are. I did do a lot of research before I went with them though.
Hopefully get them in, in a couple weeks and can respond how they are if your still looking then.
I

Jimmer

Reaction score
Thanks Avalanche !
I'd like to know about qa1 shocks also .
I have heard good things about them as well .
Jim

Jimmer

Reaction score
I have tried kyb's on several and I'm not impressed !!

Jimmer

Reaction score
I always saw kyb's in the mopar mags so I thought they would be good .
Now many years later I read how shocks are one of the most noticeable differences with suspension .
I want the best ride with out altering my stock suspension .
Jim

Brads70

Reaction score
So the qa1's ride better then the bilstiens ?

For my set up they did.I really into making my car handle well. I'm using Hyperco composite rear leaf springs and found they react much quicker than steel so I needed the adjust ability. For a stock cruiser the Bilsteins would be fine.
I have no experience with KYB but from what I've read they ride rough?

moparleo

Reaction score
Never rough. But not designed for auto crossing either. They do what a shock absorber is supposed to do which is to dampen the spring action and control compression and rebound. They were one of the first non European gas filled performance shocks and have been around since the 70's. There was no option at the time and they were very reasonably priced. Compared to the hydraulic heavy duty shocks of the era they were an outstanding performance upgrade. KYB does have different model shocks now for the different types of drivers. They are not ultra stiff so I am surprised with the hard ride comment. No shock is the "best" just like no cam is the best etc... It all depends on your suspension and what your expectations are. Otherwise there would not be a selection. Depends on what you are looking for them to do for you. I learned a long time ago that you should be carefull of what you trash, Remember a lot of people do not like Mopar's either. Are they right or wrong ? Every body has an their own opinion ...

Adrian Worman

Reaction score
Actually I'm with Moparleo all the way here, it all depends on what you want out of your car.
I used KYB's about 25 years ago and found them perfectly good, they lasted very well too, but when I wanted my Chally to turn like an English car I slapped on QA1's all round.
Expensive, a little stiff, but handles far better than a 45 year old metal blob has any right to :)

Back