• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Whats the best smallblock engine combo for maximum hp on pump gas naturally aspirated

01freeman

Reaction score
What is the best stroker combo for maximum rwhp. What heads, cam, carb., crank, rods, pistons, intake, etc. What have you guys made as far as engine combo and specs and rwhp and fly wheel hp from those combos. I am trying to decide if i want to go with a supercharged engine or naturally aspirated.

Thanks

3406pk

Reaction score
For a normally aspirated small block, you can have one from column a and one from columm b. By that you can get 500 hp from a 340 with super ported heads and high duration/high lift cam and rev it to 7000-7500 rpm. But that takes good valve train and tuning and maybe race gas.
Or put a 4" stroker crank in a 360 with good heads (aluminum eddy's or RPM magnum) with moderate porting and medium lift/duration cam. That combo will run pump gas and make 500 hp at 6000 rpm. The stroker combo makes huge torque at 3500 to 5600 rpm. So pick the combo that fits your driving and strip wants. Either way you can't go wrong.

jbearden

Reaction score
I am building a stroker small block for my 73 Scamp right now.If you are deciding on cranks then don't do what I did.I ordered a 4.00 Eagle cast because it was cheap and I can internally balance it anyway.Get a Scat or better.The difference between the Eagle and Scat cranks is the Eagle cranks have less meat on them,usually leading to cracked and destroyed cranks.Scat is stronger and actually made 4.00 cranks for Mopar years ago.My set up in a nasty street car is:340 block .030 over w/ diamond pistons,10.5 comp,Eagle H beam rods,Eagle cast crank,W-2 heads that have been worked to the max,W-2 Holley Strip Dom intake that's had work done to it,950 Holley Ultra,custom ground hydraulic roller cam for my particular car(machinist is taking care of that and working with the company on it).We'll be pushing that motor to the absolute max.We figure to get around 550-580 pump gas hp in a car that should be able to be driven regularly.

jbearden

Reaction score
And I know that more power is possible with better internals.I'll buy the better quality stuff next time so I can use the heads and rpm to my advantage.There's more in that motor.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
All you have to do is look at the R3 block & W8or 9 heads & you can get 700 hp range & durability
but HP costs !!

moparleo

Reaction score
You will have to decide if you want a race car or a street car. Anything in between will be a compromise.You can do anything in the world with any engine, just depends on your wallet and patience . I have always wondered exactly what the definition of to the max means. Have fun.

jbearden

Reaction score
to the max for me just means getting the max power for the components i have.i didn't buy the highest quality rods or crank so i can only put so much power through it.plus the factory block will not be able to handle much more power without coming apart.an r3 block,callies or other forged crank and some better rods,i should be able to get quite a bit more out of the same combo.i just built that 416 because its going in an a body.if i'm building a motor for a b or e body,rest assured it's going to be a big block.no replacement for displacement.stroker small blocks are fun,but a warmed over 440 will put a kool aid smile on your face.

Back