• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Whats this 440 worth??

01freeman

Reaction score
Im looking at buying a 440 for my 70 challenger. I found a local guy that has one its a 66 block with forged crank, hemi rods, I think he said 904 heads?? What is it worth he is asking $1000 or best.
Any information would be helpful

STXCuda

Reaction score
Sounds like a decent number just try to negotiate time to have it checked at a machine shop prior to paying the whole price.

01freeman

Reaction score
I was going to ofer him $600 $750 tops. is it worth it. he said he had it in his dart and pulled the motor and sold the car a few years back.

What should i look for as far as numbers on the block, heads, crank, rods, etc.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I guess my reply did not post
it may well be worth 1000 , it doesn't take long to spend 3k or more rebuilding a 440 , does he have receipts with dates etc , the Hemi rods alone would be worth a lot if they are there , not a fan of 906 heads , they are the first open chamber emissions heads

moparleo

Reaction score
From personal experience, if the engine is not virgin, walk away. Unless you know personally the history on the engine you can take what the seller tells you with a grain of salt. The worst words you can hear is " its just been rebuilt " trust me, it has lots of good parts in it. Remember now matter what you are looking at, it will be over 25 + years old. It is better to find a stocker to invest money in, than not knowing what you bought until you get it home and take it apart.

Dartguy340

Reaction score
Im looking at buying a 440 for my 70 challenger. I found a local guy that has one its a 66 block with forged crank, hemi rods, I think he said 904 heads?? What is it worth he is asking $1000 or best.
Any information would be helpful

I have rebuilt many Chrysler engines over the last 25+ years and now I am telling my customers that it usually ends up less expensive to buy a crate motor, than rebuild one that is 40 years old.

01freeman

Reaction score
The engine is apart from the sounds of it. The heads are off. From what im told its a standard bore block. i think it has to be worth $750. I'm going to go look at it soon and I'll let you know what I decided to do. I understand its 40 years old. If its a standard bore I think i will pick it up. Not looking for lots of power just a 440 that runs and moves the car down the road.

moparleo

Reaction score
Remember, if it was in that kind of condition, it wouldn't be apart. Just because they say it is a standard bore block, doesn't mean it is. Unless you have some calipers to measure the parts and know what standard specs are, how can you tell? How about cracks in the block, web area, etc... Would be nice to mag check it.

So lets see. Hmm It is a 1966 440 block That he took out of his Dart?! (Nice fit) a few years ago, and now it is apart, but it is a standard bore block? What else comes with this package? Manifolds,oil pan, valley pan, distributor Pulleys and brackets, valve covers? It all adds up. Buyer beware.. Don't look for a lot of us to say go for it. I surely wouldn't. Patience is a lot more economical in the long run. Wouldn't you feel better buying an engine that is complete and running before you spend your money ? The only blocks that are really scarce would be standard 340 or 426 Hemi blocks. Everything else was manufactured in the millions !~ Do some more shopping, or take Dartguy340 s advice, buy a crate motor or shop around for an engine builder who can build one supplying all the parts so you can be sure he is responsible if parts are bad.

Back