• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Where's the ignition fuse?

Gumby

Reaction score
I have to park my '73 Challenger in the city tonight and I want to easily disable it so it can't get stolen.

sixpactogo

Reaction score
What about the thieves with a rollback? They can load it up and drive off with it quicker than you can get in and start it up.
My point is if they want it bad enough it will be gone whether it will start or not.

EW1BH27

Reaction score
True enough, but not being able to start it is just another level of deterrence.

rklein71

Reaction score
The problem with taking the coil wire is you can use a spark plug wire as the coil wire and drive the car on 7 cylinders.

ctaarman

Reaction score
With regards to spark, the better solution is to make a matching wire from the coil to the distributor that has an internal "open" in it. A thief will look at the ignition wires and assume all is ok, but it won't start and it takes too much time for them to debug. With regards to towing, the best you can do is turn your wheel all the way in one direction and lock the steering column. I actually have my lockout linkage removed, and I go under the hood and engage it manually to lock the column. But if a thief wants your car bad enough..

In one of my clubs, they took an entire double axle enclosed car trailer from a well lit hotel parking lot in a nice area. Moral of that story is to never park your trailer where it can be unhitched and reconnected to another vehicle. Wedge it between your truck and a building.

michael bucklew

Reaction score
find ignition --hot-- wire near steering column install a toggle switch....will not start will act like a dead battery

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
In the early 80's. Things like this would disappear. The way I disabled it was with a hidden toggle switch to shot out the coil. would not start.Unless you unhooked everything and hot wired it. Then I had the stater disabled had to start in neutral. Had a cover over the stater. had to use the relay. Unless you took the time to take every thing apart. I liked that tank.plowed snow, tow with it,work out of it,partied in it, killed a Nova with it. Not even a scratch! Nova got in my way.put it into orbit with the front left tire.It went super Nova!

Dodge Ramcharger 1979 1.png

Last edited:
Back