• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Which intake

RATFlNK

Reaction score
Hows it going everyone. Im newly registered to this site but have been reading for a while now and to start thanks for all the help in the past. I have a 74 Cuda that I am swapping out the 318 for a 360. My question is which would be the best choice for an intake. It will be driven in the summer only, Im looking for good idle quality but great throttle response if I decide to step on it a bit from a standstill. The 360 has been punched .030 over, the stock heads have been ported with a 3 angle valve job on installed 2.02/1.84 valves. heavy springs have been added as well as a new lunati cam and lifters (Voodoo series pt#10200702.... 220/226 dur @ .050, .475/.494 lift and lca of 112). It also has a holley 650 cfm double pumper with mechanical secondaries. The ignition is an accel super coil, mopar orange box ecu, a constant output voltage regulator and mallory unilite distributor. I was thinking of the eddy air gap but was wondering what everyone else thought along with thoughts on the engine combo as i have time to change things since it hasnt been dropped in yet. i was also thinking of installing a tci breakaway converter behind the 904 tranny but dont know if its absolutely necessary. Thanks in advance for any help on the subject n my apologies for too long of a post

moparleo

Reaction score
A little more info please. What year and CR of the 360 ? What type of porting ? Any chamber or bowl work ? Diff gear ratio? Lose the orange box, lots of failures. Go to a CD ignition setup. Remember that the bigger you go ( cam, port size, header tube size, etc...) the less lower rpm response. You are looking to maintain low rpm a/f velocity for quick response. High stall, not for low end response. All of these things you have listed are geared toward max HP which will be in the higher rpm ranges. You want lower rpm torque ( pulling power ). The first thing to do that gives you instant seat of the pants feel is a lower gear ratio.
That should get everybody started.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
You want to have everything match as a package. Since you are thinking Edelbrock, call them. They want their products to work well so they will be happy to tell you what intake to use. The source is always a good place to start.

Last edited:

RATFlNK

Reaction score
the year is a 1978 360 (out of a monaco from what i was told). the cr is about 10:1. the ports were opened up on the heads but it doesnt look like anything was done to the bowls. it has 3.23 gears in the stock 8 3/4 rear end. has magnaflow headers and 3 in exhaust (from previous owner) and flat top pistons with valve reliefs. I plan at some point to change to cd ignition but the money went into this this year. luckily the orange box has held up so far and i have a chrome box and coresponding ballast resistor as backup just in case. i changed the cam out because what was in there was way too big for everyday driving even though the motor only had 500 miles on it before he tore it out and stored it for a couple of years. maybe i would be better off with a weiand stealth or a regular performer since they work from idle to help offset the powerband of the cam? the car will more than likely never see 6000 rpm so i didnt go crazy with the cam (at least i didnt think, lol)...i was looking for a little more than stock with the combo that was in there already. as far as the converter i talked to tci and they recommended their breakaway externally balanced (obviously) 11". but they could just be trying to sell something too. im just not sure if i really need it but since the motor will be out soon i figured i would look into it since the swap would be easier. so if i need one ill get it along with the intake manifold and slap it all in at once

Last edited:

RATFlNK

Reaction score
and i was told the heads were shaved as well...and whatever intake i go with will be port matched obviously...thats all i can think of off the top of my head

Last edited:

burntorange70

Reaction score
I would not put a performer on it. Thats got smaller ports. Some thing more like an RPM and arigap is what I would put on it. I would put an airgap on it or the RPM if you want to put a choke on it. But thats just me.

moparleo

Reaction score
Variables like I think it has about 10:1 CR, it is overbored .030. That means the pistons are not stock. The heads are shaved ? How much ? Ports opened up ? Again how much airflow now ? Since there is really no way of knowing exactly what you have to work with, without having to disassemble and re measure the parts that you have. I would not put a dime into yet. Since money not spent accomplishing your goal is money wasted, Find a good engine shop. Take them what you have to work with. Let the evaluate what can or can't be reused to get you where you want to go and spend your money knowing instead of guessing what the results will be.

RATFlNK

Reaction score
I think Im taking that advice and will be contacting a machine shop today along with the guy I got the motor from and the name of the shop that apparently did the work in the first place. @ challenger6pak, it has a shift kit installed in it right now is all I know of at the moment. I may just forgo the 904 and leave it with the original 318 to drop in something else and find a 727 and drive shaft for it if I can get them fairly reasonable. @ burntorange70, I was thinking alomng those lines. the original 318 has the performer on it now and I have heard numerous times about the smaller ports so thats why I eliminated that as an option a while ago.

Last edited:

jimynick

Reaction score
Well, as one FNG to another, I just bought an Air-gap knockoff from Pro Power Performance Parts out of Ft.Lauderdale and it cost $137.00 + $12 shipping. This is a dual plane intake and should operate best from 1500-5500 rpm. It does have stock size ports, but that'll keep the velocity up and aid in your quest for torque. Since an equivalent Edelbrock is $300+ it's tough to beat. Just my 2 cents worth.

moparleo

Reaction score
I have a question, any one can answer. How do you run a compression test and arrive at a compression ratio of 9.8:1 ? In other words, does static compression give you any indication of compression ratio ?
Thanks

Adrian Worman

Reaction score
I have a question, any one can answer. How do you run a compression test and arrive at a compression ratio of 9.8:1 ? In other words, does static compression give you any indication of compression ratio ?
Thanks

Yeah I'd like to know that one too :)

Rob C

Reaction score
This is a no brainer. Put a Air Gap RPM on top of it.
Been there done that in many Combos! Best all around intake and well suited for your combo.

Back