• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Which one should I get??

old_skool

Reaction score
It takes me forever to find the car I want to buy plus can afford, then 2 pop into my lap...I hate choices, it would have been easier if only one of the 2 were available, here's the quandary, doing some horsetrade....horsepower trading lol, and I have the option of a early production 70 Challenger plain Jane but still a 318 car, or a 73 Rallye, the 73 is in a lot better shape and I know the 70 is probably worth more and my favorite of the 2, but thoughts? Not in a hurry to drive either.

image_zps5bde8939.jpg

00f0f_jdBDW5d9tz2_600x450_zps8ef54000.jpg

00A0A_cg0v9ahKcjM_600x450_zpsd82de254.jpg

00t0t_8HVbeVDegba_600x450_zps144bb168.jpg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I'm a sucker for the grille and taillights on the '70 + it appears to be burnt orange so that seals it for me.

MOPARMITCH

Reaction score
Personally, I like the 70's better as they are more valuable when finished. Plus, I'm biased. I'm doing a 70 Cuda 383 4spd car now.

old_skool

Reaction score
Yeah, I think Vanishing Point did it for me ages ago. I had a 74 Challenger back in 1980, been wanting the 70 ever since, that's a lot of years to wait, didn't think I'd ever get the opportunity, may never again, i guess I know which way I'm leaning, just wanted a push.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
It's a wash. The 70 may be worth more when done but it will always be a 318 car. The 73 rallye looks like it is a 340 car. That boosts it's value. The 73 is in better condition and will take less time and money to make it nice. The 70 could cost twice as much to make nice. Right now they are worth about the same and maybe the 70 a little less due to condition. How is the cowl in the 70? It could be bad inside due to the leaves rotting down on it. If you want a nice car in a year or so go with the 73. The 70 will take some time. I am going by the pics and looks can be deceiving. It is hard to tell without seeing the cars in person.

old_skool

Reaction score
It's a wash. The 70 may be worth more when done but it will always be a 318 car. The 73 rallye looks like it is a 340 car. That boosts it's value. The 73 is in better condition and will take less time and money to make it nice. The 70 could cost twice as much to make nice. Right now they are worth about the same and maybe the 70 a little less due to condition. How is the cowl in the 70? It could be bad inside due to the leaves rotting down on it. If you want a nice car in a year or so go with the 73. The 70 will take some time. I am going by the pics and looks can be deceiving. It is hard to tell without seeing the cars in person.

Just got off the phone with the guy with the 73...wow...all I can say, well not really, I've got plenty of pictures of the 70 and talked to the guy extensively, only email correspondence with the owner of the 73 until a few minutes ago, he's going to send me pictures in a week or so when he has time, but there's really no need, his car after he described it, is rotted pretty well, a lot of electrical problems, has a later model 360 in it, not the 340, this car is out of the running. I believe after talking to him, it needs more work than the 70, he only posted a couple fair pictures on his ad, nothing initially revealing, he also has a distorted view of his cars value, he believes in the condition he described to me it's worth upwards of 10k, don't think so, some serious nice ones that year around me for only a few grand more than that. No 73 for me. Going with the 70.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Glad you were able to get some answers so you could make a decision. I would go over the 70 real well before you buy it. Check frames, cowl (from the inside of the car), door jambs (in the hinge area), etc.

Bill

Reaction score
But also keep in mind that "frames, cowl (from the inside of the car), door jambs (in the hinge area), etc." can be fixed or replaced. :)

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Even a 318 70 should be worth more & easier to sell If you have to & I hope you never to.
definatly better to go with someone who is far better to communicate with as well . Congrats on finding it !!

challenger6pak

Reaction score
But also keep in mind that "frames, cowl (from the inside of the car), door jambs (in the hinge area), etc." can be fixed or replaced. :)

You can, but you have to ask yourself "Is it worth it?" For example, my neighbor just bought a running 70 Challenger. It has a couple of very small rust spots. The vinyl top needs replaced. The interior shows wear but has no tears. The dash pad is good. It was a 318 car. It has a 440 now. It has an AMD magnum hood. The paint is slightly faded. He drove the car 4 hours home and paid $12,000 for it. The market is making it tough to redo a rough 318 car.

old_skool

Reaction score

door jambs are good, frame is good, I have to inspect the inside of the cowl area but from what I can see, the rust on this car truly is the typical lower parts of fenders or quarters and rear window.

old_skool

Reaction score
door jambs are good, frame is good, the cowl will need better inspected in person, but this car truly appears to only have the typical lower fenders and quarters rust along with the back window.

You can, but you have to ask yourself "Is it worth it?" For example, my neighbor just bought a running 70 Challenger. It has a couple of very small rust spots. The vinyl top needs replaced. The interior shows wear but has no tears. The dash pad is good. It was a 318 car. It has a 440 now. It has an AMD magnum hood. The paint is slightly faded. He drove the car 4 hours home and paid $12,000 for it. The market is making it tough to redo a rough 318 car.

I'll surprise you with what I'm paying, but only after I get it will I tell...:clock:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Ah a game, I'm in. I sense a little bit of gloating in that last post and I know he said something about horse trading so I'll guess a cash value of $2500 and $3500.

old_skool

Reaction score
Ah a game, I'm in. I sense a little bit of gloating in that last post and I know he said something about horse trading so I'll guess a cash value of $2500 and $3500.

damn....find me some 70 challengers in that price range and I'll buy them all. The other guess is on track, but there's a twist, and he was asking 9k...you gotta wait.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I have a rough 383 2 bbl 70 SE in that range here right now. It has a title issue because the VIN was mis-stamped by Chrysler. As soon as I can convince Florida that it is a mistake and there were no JY cars, I will most likely sell it. Pretty cool car. It is factory black with a blue longitudinal stripe and blue leather interior. The vinyl top is black.

old_skool

Reaction score
I have a rough 383 2 bbl 70 SE in that range here right now. It has a title issue because the VIN was mis-stamped by Chrysler. As soon as I can convince Florida that it is a mistake and there were no JY cars, I will most likely sell it. Pretty cool car. It is factory black with a blue longitudinal stripe and blue leather interior. The vinyl top is black.

how rough? pm me some data and pics

challenger6pak

Reaction score
It will be a month or more until I can get the title straight to sell the car. It needs everything. The hood , fenders, inner fenders, full quarters, roof, floors, etc. Every body panel needs attention. It's saving grace is that it has a fender tag and very rare colors. It's the same or worse than DeMatt1's A66. The reason it is so bad is because the car was striped to bare metal and then put under a tarp. The tarp leaked and the car is all rust pitted. If you look at the roof during the day , it looks like you are outside at night looking at stars. It may be the only SE made in it's color combination. It was a special order car.

Back