• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Who has the Borgenson power steering box for E-Body?

rrbbkk

Reaction score
I've heard only good things and I see the price has dropped on the E-Body version. I have a '74 Challenger with a 318. I'd love to tighten up the steering. I would have the unit installed professionally. Is there anything to look out for? Any tips you can give this novice? Thank you!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
If you look to the right the site sponsor is Borgeson steering click on the link

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
I've heard only good things and I see the price has dropped on the E-Body version. I have a '74 Challenger with a 318. I'd love to tighten up the steering. I would have the unit installed professionally. Is there anything to look out for? Any tips you can give this novice? Thank you!
Borgeson's kits include the 14:1 quick ratio steering box, pump, bracket, pulley, hoses and steering column coupler. Did you see the kits for less than $1,200 or so?

rrbbkk

Reaction score
Yikes! I went to their site and the pump was like $650. I don't recall if the ancillary parts were part of the listing. I'm guessing not.

Huskidrive

Reaction score
I bought my kit from bergman auto craft.....https://bergmanautocraft.com/product/borgeson-steering-box-conversion-kit-large-sector/.......the best thing I ever did. Flawless installation 100% bolt on, no alterations needed. 1970 Challenger R/T.

GreenOnions

Reaction score
I installed a Borgeson steering box into my 70 Challenger. Very happy with the result. One choice you will need to make is whether you you get the large or small sector version. This relates to the pitman arm that attaches to the steering box output shaft. These had two different sizes of spline. Generally later years used the large sector. If you are going to keep your current pitman arm, you will need to work out which one you have, and buy the same sector steering box to suit. Or, if you are replacing the current pitman arm, you could do what I did, and buy the large sector box, and a new large sector arm to match.

Katfish

Reaction score
I’ll go against the grain, it’s ok, but $1k would have been better spent elsewhere in my case.
Thought the smaller Borgeson box would help my Gen 3 swap, hits my TTI shorties, and have seen several swaps work with the stock box.
About the handling/feel, I had a cop box and really don’t feel much difference

Drivun

Reaction score
I’m very happy with mine. Has reliably handled twisties in Georgia mountains, allowing me to make best of 245/45/17 Michelins and Hotchkis/QA1 suspension. Warning…don’t use a fast pitman idler with it …only standard arm as pump can’t keep up.

Mopar Mitch

Reaction score
I’m very happy with mine. Has reliably handled twisties in Georgia mountains, allowing me to make best of 245/45/17 Michelins and Hotchkis/QA1 suspension. Warning…don’t use a fast pitman idler with it …only standard arm as pump can’t keep up.
Drivun -- regarding the ps pump, which pump have you used? The Federal (round neck) has very poor fast-action response; however, the SAGINAW (oval/rectangular neck) should not be any problem. I've recently spoken with Bergman ... and he said there is only one certain longer fast-ratio Pitman Arm that will fit only the Borgenson ps boxes... the factory Fast Ratio Pitman arm, according to Bergman, does not fit properly (I'm not sure if he was indicating small or large splines... the factory Fast Ratio only came as large spline). I don't think the fast-ratio Pitman arm has anything to do with which PS pump is used. Everyone should avoid the Federal ps pumps IF you want fast L-R-L-R-L-R action steering... Saginaw only is proven to work; Federal will not work with fast action.

Drivun

Reaction score
The original set up was a firm feel 3 box with their fast ratio pitman arm running Hotchkis control arm kit and Federal Pump. Something broke in the Firm Feel box so I upgraded to the more modern/smaller Borgeson keeping the Firm Feel Fast pitman and Federal pump

Had difficulty with no power in slow tight parking lot maneuvers and then blew out Federal on mountain twisties in Georgia.

Per comments on this Forum ( might have been yours!) replaced Federal with a Saginaw but still had same parking and handling problems. Phoned and emailed Borgeson about fast ratio use but got no response.

Somewhere I found some insight that FF 3 has stock 16:1 ratio that becomes 12.7:1 with fast ratio. Light bulb! Putting the fast ratio on a 14:1 Borgeson could drop it directionally to something like 10.8:1. While I’m not certain on the math, the point is it’s a huge change that’s gonna stress the pump.

With nothing to lose, I returned to a normal pitman arm set up keeping the 14:1 ratio of the Borgeson with the same Saginaw pump. No more parking problems and no puking pump/loss of power in the twistiest.

im happy now.
steve

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
I went one step further with a tubular K frame and a rack on my Challenger. Makes for all kinds of header clearances.

Dustu

Reaction score
Just installed one ,on a friends 71"cuda . Power steering pump bracket did not line up had to use the original one .not tested yet .

rrbbkk

Reaction score
Thank you everyone. I just ordered #800127 conversion kit with the VJ coupler, Hose kit, Saginaw PS pump w/ pulley and the PS pump bracket. Do I need the PS cooler kit they show on the Borgenson site? Did I miss anything?

ignition1

Reaction score
I have not yet found a vendor that makes a hose kit from Federal pump to Borgeson box. Saginaw yes, but not Federal

Steve340

Reaction score
I purchased adapter fittings of Peter Bergman and used my stock hoses - both the supply and return.

ignition1

Reaction score
Haha, I never thought about adapter fittings, such a good idea and you keep the stock appearance at quick glance till you see the box. I went with black -AN fittings and PTFE hoses, maybe I’ll change them out later to the rubber 👍

Back