• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Wicked pissed off 😡

erickson

Reaction score
I use BFGOODRICH 275/60 on most of my cars. I can get 2 mounted and balanced for less than $330. I usually only get less than 500 miles out them Cheap tires to burn/smoke off

moparleo

Reaction score
Nothing fits as good as a factory wheel. Complain to Michelin about their BFG's quality. The only thing the same about the original 1970's "real" T/A radial and todays tires, is the tire mold. The actual tire is based on a lower quality Uniroyal green tire.
Michelin purchased BFG and Uniroyal back in 1988. Different tire today.

Last edited:

heminut

Reaction score
Complain to Michelin about their BFG's quality. The only thing the same about the original 1970's "real" T/A radial and todays tires, is the mold. The actual tire is a lower quality Uniroyal green tire.
Michelin purchased BFG and Uniroyal back in 1988. Different tire today.
I won't run Michelins on anything I own! I've tried them on both my passenger vehicle and my Harley and had bad experiences with both. On the passenger vehicle (a Dodge Caravan) every one of the tires separated before they wore out.

fasjac

Reaction score
I won't run Michelins on anything I own! I've tried them on both my passenger vehicle and my Harley and had bad experiences with both. On the passenger vehicle (a Dodge Caravan) every one of the tires separated before they wore out.
I hear you but, I must say I’ve ran them all my other cars for a long time. Never on a Mopar though. I bought my wife a play car in 2001, C5 vette. The Goodyear F1’s that came on the car were probably a great track tire but, regular driving, not so much. And only made it 12k miles (no racing, just cruisin) I replaced them with Michelin pilot sports. Whole different car. And for run flats, quiet with good traction etc. Also have em on a caddy with no issues. This is not intended to prop them up, just sharing my personal experience with Michelin’s. Ask for working at a NCD we sell a lot of Michelin with practically zero complaints. My boss did want em on his resto mod 70 cuda and they were dangerous with lots of HP and no traction. Couldn’t talk him out of it though. Now for BFG truck tires, like the AT K/O 2 all terrain, I run the 10 ply and it’s a great tire. Expensive though. The BFG’s on my cuda are simply for cruising, sketchy traction but like the ride and look. Sorry to be long winded. JMO

fasjac

Reaction score
Rims Tires
Front: 17 x 8 245/45/ZR17 9 full inches of tread width.
4.75" backspace Continental Extreme Contact Sport
Rear: 17 x 9.5 275/40/ZR17 10 full inches of tread width.
5.50" backspace Continental Extreme Contact Sport
Suspension is stock with the ecception of weld on stiffners for lower control arms and a few poly bushings to stiffen a couple of things.I did a lot of measuring and measuring again, but in the end I ended up with exactly what I wanted. tires fit like a glove. 1/2 " of clearance between tire and leaf and 1/2 " between tire and wheelwellView attachment 82950View attachment 82951
Nice looking cuda!

Pacoloco

Reaction score
Can you post pictures of what you purchased and tires. I want to do the same thing except with Jegs Small D wheels, same rim dimensions and tire sizes.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
The proof is in the pudding. the size fits other challengers. I would take measurements and pictures on car an off rim. contact Wheel Vintique Steele. A wider rim will push the side walls out more. Just see what they come up with. It might be an error on their part.they might be willing to work with you. It's about good attitude. It happened too me with a $1000 + exhaust. Where the tires blems? KEEP CALM. it's not worth it. Good luck!

moparleo

Reaction score
Any more info from the guy who started this post ?? Pictures ? If the car has not been modified( still stock sheet metal) than it is a wheel off set/width issue. The widest factory wheel was 7" Guaranteed, fit. Anything bigger is going to be a " it fit on my car" ...
No 2 cars are the same and anything non factory is going to be crap shoot. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The best research is to physically look at what you are wanting to do on someone elses car, and if possible talk to them about it. You will find very few honest people will say that there were no issues at all.
Did you just order the items and assumed they would work OR did you tell the company what you were trying to accomplish ?
Did they tell you it would work or not ? There shouldn't be any damage to the tires or wheels if you just lowered it down after mounting and saw that they didn't have sufficient clearance. Now if you just drove it down the road and gouged the tires, another issue.

The "steelie" rim is supposed to look like a stock steel rim with a hub cap, but it really isn't. It is an aftermarket wheel. Factory whells have very specific dimensions since they only have to fit that manufacturers ( Dodge,Chevy,Ford, whatever) cars. After market wheels are built using average dimensions so they can just drill a different bolt pattern to fit a different car if needed. Cheaper. I am sure that many of you have seen inexpensive steel wheels drilled with multiple patterns on the same rim center.

Back