• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Drop Top Almost Back

doubleyellow

Reaction score
Working hard to get my Vert back on the road. Last driven in 1986. Purchased 1984 in NJ. 440-4, 4 spd, leather, number match. Appreciate all the advice/support from the E-Body community on forebodies.

Objective - get it operational and make it to Woodward Dream Cruise, then fix everything again. Keep restoring to stock, but use new technology for safety and driveability (and additional HP). Rare car, but has to be on the road (that's why we have Haggerty).

Since 1984, lot's of stories, frustrations, screw-ups, aggravations, lost nuts, fun, beer, money and more money.......but it will be worth it (did I mention the money?)

Hope to see everybody at all the Michigan Events this year!! All outside Michigan must come in for the Dodge Roadkill and the Woodward Dream Cruise in August!!

psconv1.jpg
P5230003.jpg
Mvc-004f.jpg
Chally IMG_0233.JPG

340challconvert

Reaction score
Dam, doubleyellow, that Y1 vert is looking good!
:thumbsup:
You mentioned one time of picking the car up in Fort Lee in 1984? That was not far from where I lived at the time in North Bergen.

340challconvert

Reaction score
You wouldn't recognize Fort Lee any more; they built luxury high rises all along the Palisades cliffs facing New York City across the Hudson River. There are so many new low and high rises, it looks like a different place!

Dam, doubleyellow, that Y1 vert is looking good!
:thumbsup:
You mentioned one time of picking the car up in Fort Lee in 1984? That was not far from where I lived at the time in North Bergen.

doubleyellow

Reaction score
I bet. It was a little rough back in the 80's, and I'm sure you remember driving through the war zone (South Bronx) praying the car didn't break down.

340challconvert

Reaction score
I bet. It was a little rough back in the 80's, and I'm sure you remember driving through the war zone (South Bronx) praying the car didn't break down.

You cross the bridge into New York City and the landscape changes a few miles east. You had to get to the Bronx to go to Yankee Stadium for the baseball games and pass through the area to get to the International Tennis competitions in Forest Hills Queens.
Fort Lee in New Jersey went from a small, quiet town to a high rise haven for the affluent.
Sections of New York City were scary back then. Even in Manhattan, the city was broke in the 1970's and the crime numbers were high. The Bronx Borough was a war zone back then. Times have changed and living in NYC is so expensive that many move to New Jersey and commute into the city. Even the Bronx has improved (still would not want to live there)

doubleyellow

Reaction score
IMG_0790JPG.JPG

Moving under it's own power...:steering:...Working out the bugs slowly in the driveway.....not street-worthy yet
- Most important: BRAKES. Still slow damn leak from distribution block. On my third one. :BangHead:
- Running OK, but still needs some tuning
- Finally got 99% of the electrical bugs eliminated.....you guys are right, it's grounding usually....nothing like those iconic 70 rear lights

Much more to do:
- Convertible frame just powder coated - reassemble - get top done
- Install door glass (if I can find all the parts) and windshield
- Front grill and bumper
- Final paint touch-up and stripe/blackout install
- etc

Thanks for all the advice along the way

doubleyellow

Reaction score
Convertible top frame back from powder-coating. Came out amazing. Was going to rattle can it, but guy at work suggested the powder coating. Glad I did.

They are able to do the complete whole assembly if you like (I took apart the whole thing. Took hours to put back together).

Couldn't do the rear link bars with the overmolded urethane.....will have to touch those up.

Next challenge is the frame has about 3 trillion adjustments to get it aligned........then top goes on in a few weeks hopefully.....

IMG_0817-1.JPG
IMG_0816-1.JPG
IMG_0818.JPG

70cuda50

Reaction score
Looking awesome! Mine is just starting. Can't wait to see yours on the road soon.

Last edited:

doubleyellow

Reaction score
Hydraulics for top. Had to go with new hoses since my originals shattered due to age. Also bought new cylinders to be safe.

Was tempted to rebuild it, but since the lead time was so long, I decided to give my original motor a try...miraculously it worked. Hope it holds up.

On motor note the mark....if anyone knows what the significance is, please let me know.

Frame going up and down.....now on to the header and rear stainless trim install.....already started and so far massive pain in the...

IMG_0860.JPG
IMG_0861-1.JPG
IMG_0862-1.JPG

Back