• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Steering coupler roll pin removal.

bullet18

Reaction score
Ok so i need to remove my steering coupler to install a u joint for my new column and i cant seem to get the roll pin out. I literally just drove 2 feet of 5/16 steel rod through the smaller hole and out the larger one and the pin didn't come out. The rod was literally press fit to the smaller roll pin hole. Do i need to drive it from the other side? It wouldn't make sense to me to drive it out the smaller hole. The car is a 70 challenger with power steering. I dont want to try the other side and just get the pin more stuck. Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
You need to find something the same or just smaller diameter of the pin and tap it out.

bullet18

Reaction score
You need to find something the same or just smaller diameter of the pin and tap it out.
So i need to tsp it out from the other side? I literally cannot fit anything bigger in this side.

moparlee

Reaction score
The pin hole is the same diameter all the way through, no taper. Tap it out from either side. Are you sure the roll pin is even in there? You should be able to tap on an edge of the pin.

Reaction score
What you need is called a pin punch, it will get the pin out with out damaging anything. You should be able to get one at your local tool supplier, maybe even Lowes, Home Depot or Sears. They usually come in a kit with 5 or 6 common sizes.
Spray the pin area with penetrating oil, it might not have been out since new.

bullet18

Reaction score
The pin hole is the same diameter all the way through, no taper. Tap it out from either side. Are you sure the roll pin is even in there? You should be able to tap on an edge of the pin.
One side is 5/16 and the other side is definitely 3/8. I can see the pin in there but it won't budge either way. Can i drill it out or is that a bad idea?

moparlee

Reaction score
One side is 5/16 and the other side is definitely 3/8. I can see the pin in there but it won't budge either way. Can i drill it out or is that a bad idea?
What you are seeing is a bevel on the pin hole on one side for ease in starting the pin when putting it back in. The pin hole is definitely not tapered.
Do what 704406 said.

aussiemark

Reaction score
The pin is a roll pin (it has a seam down the side of it) so it shouldn't seize or be difficult to remove it can be compressed a little and close the gap in the seam as it is coming out. Use a pin punch just large enough not to get stuck in the coupling hole but not small enough to go inside the hole in the pin and tap it firmly while holding the shaft and pulling up to dampen the hammer taps.

AUSTA

Reaction score
Lock the steering with the pin facing straight up then use a pin punch to knock the pin out as the pin is low down & hard to hit use a socket that is a good fit over the pin punch then plug a couple of socket extension bars into the socket so you can give it a good straight tap

bullet18

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Im gonna get a pin punch set today.

bullet18

Reaction score
Lock the steering with the pin facing straight up then use a pin punch to knock the pin out as the pin is low down & hard to hit use a socket that is a good fit over the pin punch then plug a couple of socket extension bars into the socket so you can give it a good straight tap
I got the pin punches and tried all of this and it still won't budge with a hammer.

15526725662923249710890763033712.jpg

15526726448187699007382500536422.jpg

bullet18

Reaction score
Im actually not entirely sure the punch pin is still in there at this point. The 5/16 punch slides through the coupler and the 3/8s hits the bevel. Either way i still cant get the coupler off the splines.

20190315_140422.jpg

20190315_140441.jpg

Last edited:

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Might need the fire-wrench. Hard to really tell from the photos but it looks like the pin may be out. The coupler on the steering box for my T/A was seized to the shaft so badly that Firm Feel could not remove it by any method and subsequently, the entire shaft had to be replaced. It's very possible you have the same issue here. Don't forget, it's been on there for 50 years...

5WXF4_AS01.jpg

bullet18

Reaction score
I got it off with a hammer, a screw driver and a pry bar. Thanks for all the help.

moparlee

Reaction score
Glad you got it off:thumbsup:. Like I said, I didn't think it looked like the roll pin was even still in there. Looked like someone had driven the coupler up tight to the steering gear. There should be about a 1/4" gap between the two. When you re-install everything make sure the shaft splines and the roll pin shaft groove are all aligned properly.

Back