• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Need help building and engine

Cuda Russ

Reaction score
Hello my name is Russ I recently purchased a 1973 BS Cuda It is all numbers matching with a 340 6 barrel and had been considering pulling it out setting it in a corner and putting in a 440 but not quite so sure I do have a limited budget but I still want to get some horsepower and torque fairly easy to do with the 440 not so much so with the 340 can I please get some help with a good engine builder that knows all the equations and formulas for building a good motor getting the most horsepower at a reasonable price I could really use some help and I would like to purchase my parts well they’re still on sale at Christmas time if I could please get some help thank you.

Adam

Reaction score
If on a limited budget, keep in mind the transmission is also different, as are all the accessory brackets. Look for a complete set up (fan to tail shaft). I would get that before ordering any parts. Although, maybe heads, if you are sure. I think Edelbrock has a 10% sale going right now.

Cuda Russ

Reaction score
I thought the transmission was the same that’s what I was also told and was planning to put a four-speed in it and I do have a lineup on it as well as a whole engine or just a Short block

moparlee

Reaction score
I thought the transmission was the same that’s what I was also told and was planning to put a four-speed in it and I do have a lineup on it as well as a whole engine or just a Short block
Physically, the E-body A-833 4 spds would be the same, except you could have an 18 spline HD like for the hemi and the more common 23 spline output shaft.
The SB and BB bell housings are different, they have different bolt patterns where they bolt to the block.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Even at 10% off on Eddy heads Stealths from 440 Source are 1/2 the price & make better power .

Adam

Reaction score
Even at 10% off on Eddy heads Stealths from 440 Source are 1/2 the price & make better power .
But made of Chinesium, a metal with very low strength, and suspect specifications!
All kidding aside I bought a 440 Source water pump housing and the output side passage was so small I could only put the tip of my finger in it. I was able to open it up with my porting tools, but that was the last thing I ever bought from them.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
SO are the Eddy heads , Eddy was the only product that would consistanly plug my cutters when porting , Stealth uses harder alum alloy

Cuda Russ

Reaction score
Physically, the E-body A-833 4 spds would be the same, except you could have an 18 spline HD like for the hemi and the more common 23 spline output shaft.
The SB and BB bell housings are different, they have different bolt patterns where they bolt to the block.
Thank you for that information so could you tell me what spline I would need for a 340 and what spline I would need for a 440 four-speed trans.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
It is difficult & expensive to find the 18 spline transmissions , they were only factory behind 440 / Hemi .
Most people just use the 23 behind anything .
You also have to match up the front brg retainer diameter , small block 833 had 4.35 , big block had 4.80 & Od used 5.12 " diameter , the od can be cut down to fit the 4.80 .
Passion has a variety of choices in both 23 & 18 spline if you want to buy new .

Cuda Russ

Reaction score
I have a couple leads on transmissions I don’t know what spline they are yet as far as bushings I can make my own or anything else for that matter I have CNC machines.

fasjac

Reaction score
I have a couple leads on transmissions I don’t know what spline they are yet as far as bushings I can make my own or anything else for that matter I have CNC machines.
Just sharing, my 5 speed is 23 spline in a Tremec. It’s good for 550-600 hp.

fasjac

Reaction score
10+ years ago it was Keisler, now it’s Silversport transmission. It’s a direct fit trans for manual (modifications with automatic obviously) with overdrive. 5th in mine is .64 to 1. Running 3.91 rear gear. With what I’m running, when you launch in first it’s like having a 4.88 rear gear. 75 on the highway is about 23-2400 RPM.

Cuda Russ

Reaction score
10+ years ago it was Keisler, now it’s Silversport transmission. It’s a direct fit trans for manual (modifications with automatic obviously) with overdrive. 5th in mine is .64 to 1. Running 3.91 rear gear. With what I’m running, when you launch in first it’s like having a 4.88 rear gear. 75 on the highway is about 23-2400 RPM.

That’s not bad at all

Back