• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Winter project

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Super clean underneath which means the r & r of the leaf springs and new shocks took about 5 hours and it was only noon when I finished. Since I kinda gave myself all day with the car(which is really rare) and it was already perched on 6 jack stands in the rear I figure I should put the new 3.23 in it.
image.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpg

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I've seen cars fall down with the jack stands set up like you have them. Pretty dangerous that way. Are you trying to get height or protect the frame or both?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I had 6 jack stands under the rear for this project and the wood blocks under the 2 in the rear were for the height. Not even much weight on those 2 and the more the marrier under a convertible especially.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Could this car have been built with a 2.76 in a 741 case? I think the date on the ring gear is from 10/23/'70 and the car was built in Jan of '71. I can't imagine they would have used the X case in a 383 4bbl car. No identification tag on the rear and I knew it was 2.?? Back there and have always assumed it was swapped out at some point.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
Matt, your undercarriage in the rear of your vert (trunk, trunk extensions) all look good.
That's where I will need the most metal work. My trunk floor is rusted and will need replacement. I'm jealous.
Dino2 (1).gif

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I'm very happy with the condition of this car which I think is from Texas, at least it had a decal on the windshield from Texas from the '70s or '80s. It does have some mud in the lower extremities but it appears to be limited to the outer sheet metal. That'll be addressed in the next major project for the car but I can't say when that'll happen. I've spent a good amount of money on it this past year.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Old top has been in need of replacement for years. It was an incorrect replacement from many many years ago that, as you can see by the pics was stretched out and coming apart at the seams. I found a guy through a friend that does tops and other trim work for a living and he came to my shop to R & R yesterday.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
New top looks great and the installation went smooth. It's a pleasant surprise how much quieter it is to drive with the top up. Far less squeaks and rattles.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

moparlee

Reaction score
Matt, that new top looks really good. Your guy did a very nice job and it gives your vert a whole new look. BTW, it was fun watching your big c-body cruising down the highway the other day ahead of us (even in the pouring rain).

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Matt, that new top looks really good. Your guy did a very nice job and it gives your vert a whole new look. BTW, it was fun watching your big c-body cruising down the highway the other day ahead of us (even in the pouring rain).
Thanks Lee! Where were you behind me, heading back from the Nats?

moparlee

Reaction score
Thanks Lee! Where were you behind me, heading back from the Nats?

Yes, that was us in the gray 2012 Charger. We followed until you exited and waived when you pulled off at that rest stop. Wanted to make sure that big Mopar made it down the road ok!

340challconvert

Reaction score
Thanks, yours must be original?

I replaced it in the early 1980's with a high quality top and new glass window.
While the car was in storage, something (I think mice?) chewed a hole in the driver's side quarter area of the roof
I had left the top down for a while, when the car was sitting in my carriage house in the back of my former home.
Sadly the roof was in really good shape. Still have the $250.00 receipt for the top and installation.
Lesson learned about leaving a car unattended for a long period of time!

Dino2 (1).gif

moparlee

Reaction score
Wait a minute, you stayed at the Doubletree in Newark too?

Yep. We (wife and I) didn't get a chance to meet up with you for a little bit until Sunday morning in the parking lot when the discussion was all about the cutting of the trailer/truck wiring harnesses during the night by some low lifers. Hope they were caught on camera.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Yep. We (wife and I) didn't get a chance to meet up with you for a little bit until Sunday morning in the parking lot when the discussion was all about the cutting of the trailer/truck wiring harnesses during the night by some low lifers. Hope they were caught on camera.
Well shoot, why didn't you say something??? I'm not good at making connections.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Yes, that was us in the gray 2012 Charger. We followed until you exited and waived when you pulled off at that rest stop. Wanted to make sure that big Mopar made it down the road ok!
You know I just looked at the odometer on the Imp and I've put over 4,500 miles on it since spring. You don't have to worry about that car making it down the road ok, it runs like a Swiss watch!;)

DetMatt1

Reaction score
It has been a while since I posted any updates on this car but it’s not for lack of messing around with it. I’ll just skip all of the fixing broken things and stick to improvements although a non working oil pressure gauge is the reason to finally tackle this project. The Rallye instrument cluster assembly I bought for this car years ago was in need of a resto. Now since I am finally comfortable enough with getting rid of the mechanical oil gauge I’ve had mounted under the dash since the engine rebuild I need the factory one working. I’ve had the replacement and the new woodgrain overlay for this for quite some time.
Here’s some before pics.
It had 2 layers of woodgrain on it the second was done so poorly that I almost wonder if it was done in place rather then on a bench.
8C9C3529-4A21-41DA-9A12-244F03281B20.jpeg
098694B3-9036-41E5-A5B7-0241248E5C0F.jpeg
52C5D641-0E75-4E33-AF33-9E7BD5295CF3.jpeg
397C1A57-D55E-46DF-9D7F-BD7177B2101B.jpeg

Back