• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Winter project

DetMatt1

Reaction score
The old converter is an oem replacement/reman from the last time the trans was half assed rebuilt.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Here are a few of the improvements made to my trans. I found a used late '90s 46RE on Craigslist as a doner for some of the mods. The valve body got a shift improver kit and the oem steel check balls were replaced with the composite ones from the 46RE as they don't beat up the separator plate like the steel ones.
New TCI HP intermediate sprags.
New style dimpled input bushing in pump housing for improved oiling.
Replaced main output shaft bearing.
Back planetary set was replaced from the oem 3 gear set to the 4 gear from the 46RE.
Front clutch pack springs went from the 9 originals + 3 reds from the 46RE to = 12.
Front clutch pack bushing replaced with new updated grooved style for improved oiling.
Front clutch pack discs changed from 4 oem to 5 Alto-red .062 discs.
Back clutch pack discs changed from 3 oem to 4 alto-red .062 discs.
Kick down apply lever changed from 3.2 oem to 3.8.
New front and rear bands, good ones.
6 1/2" washers used as blocker in the low/reverse apply piston assembly.
Removed casting flashings from case(one was dangerously close to falling off which would have been disasterous)
This was all done by a close friend of mine whose a guru imo and I'm really looking forward to experiencing the performance of this trans.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I'm sure you will notice a difference. Sounds like a nice transmission.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Ok so I got the Imperial back on the road for the season and its nose to the grindstone on the vert. I had to have the 3rd member rebuilt for the Imperial so I handed over this 3.23 SG I was planning on using in the vert at the same time to make sure it was tight. All the bearings and seal were replaced and with the acception of a new rubber bumper it's ready to go.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Thanks Lee! I plan to drive it to Red Hook, NY and than on to Boston for a couple of nights and back to Red Hook for a total of 2 weeks with my fiancé in 3 weeks and I have a mountain of client work to accomplish before we leave. there's going to be some late nights for a few weeks.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Man, that 383 looks great!
Can't wait to hear how it runs with the rebuild you did on it.
Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Well there's good news and bad news. It does run, it sounds great, has good oil pressure but I'm out of time to finish putting it back together and still be able to put some miles on it before the trip. We are leaving in 4 days and there's still way too much to do. I'm disappointed but I've been working both on it and client work for over 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for several weeks now so it's going to have to wait till we return. The Imperial is ready for the trip however and I'll say that it's probably a better choice anyways for a trip like this. Modernized stereo with MP3 jack, freshly rebuilt 4 piston front calipers, freshly rebuilt rear center section and an interior fit for no less than 4 executives. I drove it to Carlisle a couple of years ago and it was a pleasure then in spite of the fact that it sounded like a fleet of Huey helicopters was following me because the rear end was shot when I bought it. I will share some photos of the journey even though you guys are mainly E-body enthusiasts.

image.jpeg

moparlee

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that Imperial back up plan and you will ride in comfort. Finish the vert when you get back and then you'll have to time to do some shake down runs with it. Have a great trip!

wingcarenvy

Reaction score
The convertible is beautiful!! I can't wait to see it done. The Imperial is awesome and what a back up plan, haha.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Haven't updated in a while so here goes.
I have been busy since my return from the trip but managed to get it back on the road after chasing a particularly pesky oil leak, I don't want to get into except to say it ended up being a damaged timing cover that made us think it was leaking from the oil pan.
After reassembly I took it for a front end alignment and they proceeded to tell me that they did the best they could with how shot the rear springs were, one side was an inch and a half lower than the other in the back, lol!. I was aware that the rear springs needed to be addressed and actually had a pair of take-offs that were in really good shape stashed away for this car. I took them up to the local spring shop and had them checked and re-arched, painted them up and I'm installing them now along with a pair of new shocks as the old ones were also shot, maybe even the originals. Pics to follow.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I wish I would've taken a better pic of how low the rear was looking after the front was set to its factory height. Somebody must have cranked the bars down to match the saggy rump through the years.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Back