• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Average cost to install cam and lifters?

B2G707

Reaction score
I bought a mild cam and new lifters. Whats the average cost for them to be install?

One shop quoted almost $1300. Is that too high? Or just about right?

DrEamer

Reaction score
Seems high, but if there is shop rate is close to the $100 mark, might be about right. Also, if it includes parts, it would probably be closer to the price they are asking. If they are doing everything correctly, they will be putting on new valve cover, timing chain cover, intake, and water pump gaskets. I would think that they would be replacing the timing chain as well as the cam bearings to do things right. Remember they will have to remove the radiator, so new coolant as well. Also, they should be tuning your carb to the new cam as part of the deal. The labor to remove all the part clean and reinstall them adds up quickly. Most shops will warranty their work, so factor that in as part of the service.

B2G707

Reaction score
Actually that just labor cost. I told them I would supply all parts. So is that about right?

B2G707

Reaction score
Seems high, but if there is shop rate is close to the $100 mark, might be about right. Also, if it includes parts, it would probably be closer to the price they are asking. If they are doing everything correctly, they will be putting on new valve cover, timing chain cover, intake, and water pump gaskets. I would think that they would be replacing the timing chain as well as the cam bearings to do things right. Remember they will have to remove the radiator, so new coolant as well. Also, they should be tuning your carb to the new cam as part of the deal. The labor to remove all the part clean and reinstall them adds up quickly. Most shops will warranty their work, so factor that in as part of the service.

Actually that just labor cost. I told them I would supply all parts. So is that about right?

Adam

Reaction score
This is easy to do yourself. Pull your grill, drain the radiator and get to it!
I could not see paying that much unless: You have no place to work and
Your car has a/c, and the shop will drain/refill the system, in addition to what DrEamer wrote.

Always ask for the old parts back.

B2G707

Reaction score
This is easy to do yourself. Pull your grill, drain the radiator and get to it!
I could not see paying that much unless: You have no place to work and
Your car has a/c, and the shop will drain/refill the system, in addition to what DrEamer wrote.

Always ask for the old parts back.

Yea actually my friend who has a shop is going to let me use his shop/assist me so I can do it myself.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Make sure you degree the cam when you install it , often the cam will not line up properly just matching the marks , also make sure you have new valve springs or that the existing springs will work with the new cam .
I would also install a new timing chain , JP Performance make a killer piece with 7 keyway crank sprocket to allow you to dial in the cam .
Make sure you check the cam brgs too , they may need to be replaced

cudamark

Reaction score
If your oil pressure is fine before the swap, the cam bearings are probably ok. They're a real pain to do with the engine in the car. Just be careful when you pull the old cam and when installing the new one that you don't damage the bearings. They're easy to nick. You haven't said which engine you have. Some are easier than others to swap cams. Don't get carried away with a high lift unless you've already figured your valve to piston clearances.

B2G707

Reaction score
If your oil pressure is fine before the swap, the cam bearings are probably ok. They're a real pain to do with the engine in the car. Just be careful when you pull the old cam and when installing the new one that you don't damage the bearings. They're easy to nick. You haven't said which engine you have. Some are easier than others to swap cams. Don't get carried away with a high lift unless you've already figured your valve to piston clearances.

I have a 360 engine...

Back