• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 A-66 Challenger Convertible

moparlee

Reaction score
I am working on the inner piece first, then will do the same for the bottom section of the quarter panel patch. Taking this real slow since I have not done this type of bodywork/welding before!

Good idea to start in an area that is hidden, then move on to the areas that are more visible. You might want to practice welding on some of the scrap pieces you cut out if you haven't already. Take your time and you should be fine:thumbsup:

340challconvert

Reaction score
Started to drill down on cutting and fitting the quarter panel patches.
Decided to order the left side AMD quarter panel patch to compare to the Goodmark Panels
Main difference seems to be in the lower area where there are "line up" holes drilled at the edge of the panel. AMD has them, Goodmark does not.
Additionally the two small sections of metal that juts out are slightly smaller then the AMD units. The Goodmarks are not bad but not as accurate as the AMD's. Nice Mopar sticker on the AMD!
(1st pic is the Goodmark, 2nd AMD)
Dino2 (1).gif

IMG_3936.jpg

IMG_3938.jpg

340challconvert

Reaction score
Cut the patch from a new AMD panel for the bottom of the trunk extension. Just used a cutting wheel and a homemade template.
Top of original panel is in good shape
Rust is at the bottom on both the trunk extension and quarter panel.
Plan is to do patch of bottom of trunk extension first in order to maintain correct alignment for the outer quarter patch.
Dino2 (1).gif

IMG_3945.jpg

IMG_3728.jpg

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
Roughing in the left side bottom of trunk extension. Not too bad for the first attempt!

Found that the bottom of the quarter was patched poorly prior to me buying the car in 1979 with a sheet of aluminum and bondo covering the rust!
Dino2 (1).gif

IMG_3988.jpg

IMG_3981.JPG

Last edited:

Adam

Reaction score
Save the old gas tank sending wire grommet if it is usable, they are hard to find...

moparlee

Reaction score
Good alignment on the patch panel:thumbsup:. It is interesting what you find hidden in these cars of ours.

340challconvert

Reaction score
A lot of trepidation on doing this!
Measured and cut the bottom of the quarter panel area that was rotted out in getting ready to cut and fit the AMD panel. Only doing the bottom section of metal that was in poor condition.
New experience for me; I can do the mechanics but metal work and body work not my forte.
Taking my time and measuring more then twice. Will again create a template off of the cut panel. Worked well in creating the patch for the bottom of the left trunk extension.

Dino2 (1).gif

IMG_4018.jpg

IMG_4024.jpg

IMG_4025.jpg

340challconvert

Reaction score
In cutting the bottom of the original quarter; someone prior to my ownership (1979) brazed a metal patch as a “backing plate” and covered the area with mud. Probably caused the rust damage at the bottom of the panel. Amazing that it needed a patch that early in it’s life.

moparlee

Reaction score
Kinda funny isn't how metal repairs have gone from brazing to welding. Must have been that brazing took less know how vs welding. Heck, I even did a little bit of the yellow "welding":D

340challconvert

Reaction score
Kinda funny isn't how metal repairs have gone from brazing to welding. Must have been that brazing took less know how vs welding. Heck, I even did a little bit of the yellow "welding":D
I use to braze muffler pipes. You can see what they "brazed"

IMG_4028.jpg

IMG_4029.jpg

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
You’ll be an expert in no time:thumbsup:

Thanks. I don't know about "expert" just yet. I am getting more comfortable cutting up $175. AMD panels into patch panels!
Now I have to figure out how to best use Cleco Pins?
I understand there are fasteners that work well with butt welds?

Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:

Joemoy29

Reaction score
Looking great. Where in NJ are you. My shop is in old bridge

Joemoy29

Reaction score
4k sqft with a couple lifts for my toys. It’s not a business just a money pit lol

Back