• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 A-66 Challenger Convertible

rolling_thunder

Reaction score
Nice - I went with a 1 piece floor when I did mine... granted with no quarter panels on it was pretty easy. haha

Great work

340challconvert

Reaction score
While the trunk floor is out;
Cleaning up the underside/back section of the rear floor pan. Not too bad overall. Will need a small patch on the left side bottom, otherwise everything is pretty solid.
I remove what I can mechanically then use Eastwood's Rust Converter followed by Rust Encapsulator, then a good coat of chassis paint.
Dino2 (1).gif

You can tell the rust in the small area started from the INSIDE!

IMG_3281.jpg

340challconvert

Reaction score
Finally finished cleaning up the under side rear floor pan and shock cross member before I start the install on the new trunk floor.
Cleaned up with wire wheels, rust converter and rust sealer. Think it came out pretty good!
Dino2 (1).gif

IMG_3544.jpg

IMG_3539.jpg

IMG_3538.jpg

moparlee

Reaction score
Nice work! I like the look of the finish. Are going to keep the under body black or go with your original paint color?

340challconvert

Reaction score
Doing it up as a driver.
Not much Y1 underneath except on the frame rails.
Was not factory under coated, so I thought I would seal it with chassis black.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Doing it up as a driver.
Not much Y1 underneath except on the frame rails.
Was not factory under coated, so I thought I would seal it with chassis black.
These cars sit so low you’ll never see the bottom or at least you better not!

340challconvert

Reaction score
What I did so far on the underside;
Applied Rust Converter first on underbody areas (after cleaning up with wire wheels and orbital sanders)
Coated with Rust Encapsulator (both Eastwood products; have had good success with these)
Really looking to prevent any further rust from forming.

When I worked on other areas of the car (inner fenders, front frame, engine compartment) I followed up with:

Sealed and coated with epoxy primer, two-three coats, sanded between coats.
Added high build urethane primer, sanded then again resealed with the epoxy.
Final top coat could be whatever chosen (chassis paint, factory Y-1)

I usually try to keep a car as stock as possible (just my preference) with minor modifications for improvement or durability.

What I have right now are the remnants of the factory primer on the underside with no undercoating except in the wheel well areas (as per factory)
My thinking is that I can future finish the underside in any number of ways post this point?

Just my thoughts!

Dino2 (1).gif

340challconvert

Reaction score
Just ordered the AMD trunk floor extensions. Figured it is best to replace them rather then trying to patch up the old ones which are marginal.
Stuff is getting expensive but wanted to use the matching AMD metal.
Dino2 (1).gif

s-l1600 (1).jpg

3406aarta

Reaction score
Looks good do you have any more recent pictures?

Are you going back with the butt stripe or the longitudinal stripe?

Does anybody know if all A66 package convertibles came with the butt stripe? What were your stripe options on an A66 Challenger Convertible?

Could you get a Shaker Hodd with the A66 package on a Challenger?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
In ‘70 the longitudinal stripe had R/T on it and the A66 was not a JS but a JH car so I believe the butt stripe or no stripe was your only option.

3406aarta

Reaction score
Makes sense on the stripe that's what I thought.

I have a red with white interior 318 Challenger Convertible with a Shaker and I'm making it into an A66 clone as I got a 340, Shaker Hood, and Rubber Bumpers with the car. Does anyone know if you could get a Shaker with the A66 package? I had a buddy ask me that question and I have no idea??????????

340challconvert

Reaction score
The A66 Challenger hardtops and convertibles came w the bumble stripe unless deleted.
Later a side stripe was available minus the RT letters.
A shaker became available on the 340 cars in April 1970

This information may help. I bold faced the pertinent info:

From; Hamtramck - Historical

per the '70 Dodge "salesman's pocket guide" 9/23/69 version:
CODE A66 - Challenger 340 CID engine package - $258.90
NA Special Edition (29), NA R/T (JS)
15" Rallye wheels (W21) - required at EXTRA cost
collapsable spare (W34) - required at EXTRA cost

this changed at some point - as the following shows:

per the '70 Dodge "dealership data book" no date found
CODE A66 - Challenger 340 CID engine package - includes

340 engine - E55
F70-14 RWL tires - T87
R/T hood
H.D. brakes
H.D. suspension
"bumble bee" stripe
"scat pack" decals
wheel lip mouldings "DELETED"

7/23/69:
The 340 Performance Package (A66) will be available on the hardtop and convertible models in conjunction with the 340 engine in early September. The 340 engine will only be available in combination with the 340 Performance Package.

10/20/69:
Effective immediately, F70x14-inch RWL tires (T87) are standard with the 340 Performance Package. The E60x15-inch tires (U82) will be optional at extra cost. The Collapsible Spare (W34) and Rallye Wheels will no longer be required with the 340 Package. A Rear Spoiler in Dull Black (J81) will be available in early November. Effective immediately, Performance Axle Packages A31 and A36 are available with the 340 Package.

2/12/70:
Longitudinal Tape Stripes on the Challenger high-Iine models (JH23, JH27, JH29) will be available in mid-March
as an extra-cost option. Color availability and codes are: Black (V6X), White (V6W), Red (V6R), Green (V6F) and Blue (V6B). This tape stripe will be similar to the standard R/T stripe but without the R/T nomenclature. This stripe is a no-extra-cost option with the 340 Performance Package (A66).

4/13/70:
The Shaker Hood is now available on the Challenger R/T with the 440-6V and 426 engines. In addition, this hood is also available with the 340 Performance Package (A66) and will be available on the 383 and 440-4V engines on R/T models in late April. The Challenger T/A Fiberglass Hood (N94) is now available on all Challenger models with 4-barrel engines.

3406aarta

Reaction score
Awesome information...I'm a newbie to this forum, but I've been into Mopars for 20+ years, and I'm still learning...Thank you so much....

scottylack

Reaction score
Awesome...I'm in Jersey too and doing a 70 Barracuda convertible...will be following!

Back