• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 A-66 Challenger Convertible

fk5aar

Reaction score
It says TA hood is now available on all 4 barrel challengers??? I thought it was like the aar hood only available on 6 pack cars?

340challconvert

Reaction score
It says TA hood is now available on all 4 barrel challengers??? I thought it was like the aar hood only available on 6 pack cars?
The Challenger TA hood became available on any Challenger V-8 factory 4 bll engine in April of 1970.
Wonder if the TA hood was available with the 6-pk motors? Never saw a factory installed TA hood on a non TA Challenger; must be rare. N94 code.

340challconvert

Reaction score
I personally would have ordered a 70 Challenger A66 convertible like I have now, but would have gotten a 4 sp and a shaker hood, most likely in B7 blue.

Timing was off; I was a high school senior making $1.60 an hour part time in Shop Rite, and as a gas jockey on weekends to help pay for up-coming college tuition in September 1970!
Dino2 (1).gif

340challconvert

Reaction score
Drop offs came in 2 days.
Deciding how I should install them along with a 2 piece trunk floor? Did not want to start messing with the tail lite panel. I also have to put a patch panel on the bottom of each quarter panel. Contemplating just using the bottom section of the drop offs (the top part of them are solid), and install the quarter panel patches at the same time rather then starting to drill out more spot welds on the tail panel and wheel wells. Anyone repair their trunk and drop offs in this manner?
Dino2 (1).gif

IMG_3728.jpg

IMG_3729.jpg

quapman

Reaction score
How's the valance attachment area? I've found that to be pretty lame on the non AMD patches.

340challconvert

Reaction score
The brand of quarter patch panels is Goodmark. Decent price of 58.79 each from Rock Auto with 9.99 shipping
Thought I would check out these two pieces because of the significant price difference with the AMD panel cost. I only need a 4-5 in patch toward the bottom front of each quarter. I test fit them and they contoured pretty well over the existing quarter. Everything else I bought was AMD (trunk floor and overhangs)
Here is a shot of the valance attachment area of the Goodmark Panel. Let me know what you think?

IMG_3877.jpg

IMG_3878.jpg

IMG_3879.jpg

340challconvert

Reaction score
Interesting information; the Goodmark panels I bought are manufactured by a company called TriPlus in Tiawan.
They state they have been in business a long time claiming "attention to quality" We will see!
I am going to check the panel with a micrometer and then measure the thickness of the AMD trunk drop offs to compare.

I went to AMD's site, something I did not know? AMD licenses to three companies to make some of their panels; Classic Headquarters, TriPlus, and X-Parts.

It would be interesting to know just how many AMD panels are made by AMD?

Check this out on the AMD web site

About Us

and of course the TriPlus site
Triplus Co., Ltd.
Dino2 (1).gif

IMG_3875.jpg

340challconvert

Reaction score
Not defending any particular panel manufacturer, always bought AMD.
Was curious about the quality of these quarter panel patches. AMD patches sell for 184.99 each vs the $59 each I paid for the TriPlus
I really only need a few inches of the bottom, so I took the chance and am checking them out!
Dino2 (1).gif

rbbruno3

Reaction score
That’s some interesting information. For a third the price and only need a small piece I’d say a no brainer. Plus if the only difference is a sticker why not.

340challconvert

Reaction score
This is what I am dealing with on the left side; the panels should be more then sufficient in patching the bottom of each lower quarter.
Dino2 (1).gif

IMG_3880.jpg

IMG_3881.jpg

340challconvert

Reaction score
Some noticeable differences; the AMD panel is taller and takes in whole bumper indent area and does not have top section over the wheel well.
The TriPlus piece is lower, covers only a partial section of the bumper indent area and has a top piece that extends over the wheel well.

This pic shows the AMD piece (see the TriPlus section below)

amd panel.jpg

quapman

Reaction score
Some more FYI... Goodmark is now owned by Keystone, which is part of the multi-national conglomerate LKQ.

jfreakofkorn

Reaction score
good to see that the rust is addressed at when its present and taken the steps in removing it or replacing it w new metal

the car is coming along nicely and making nice process with it

keep up the good work along w the update(s) coming =)

340challconvert

Reaction score
Currently making a template using the back section of the AMD left side trunk extension. I will replace only the bottom section; with the upper part of the panel looking solid. I will use the template to determine how much of the old and new panel to cut and fit properly.
Also picked up this electric shears tool from Eastwood. Was not real expensive and looks like it will cut the sheet metal cleanly and easily.
I also have a grinding/cutting wheel (small version) if needed.

I am contemplating fitting the new piece over the bottom section and cutting through new and old at the same time in order to have a nice clean, even cut for a butt weld.
Thoughts welcome.
getPart

I am working on the inner piece first, then will do the same for the bottom section of the quarter panel patch. Taking this real slow since I have not done this type of bodywork/welding before!
Dino2 (1).gif

Back