• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

coolant leak

73Barracuda

Reaction score
Recently purchased the car. 318CI

So Im going through the operational systems on my car to make sure its road worthy and noticed a coolant leak. It appears to be rear engine, drivers side. Coolant is falling from the bell housing and appears to maybe be running down from behind the starter?

I am praying for the best and that you guys can help me determine this is from a coolant line of some kind, maybe some crazy kind of seal, maybe an expansion plug . . . . and not a cracked block.

Bonus is there is no water in the oil as its not milky.

moparlee

Reaction score
There are no coolant lines near the back of the block. Look for a leak at the rear expansion plugs and at the rear exhaust manifold studs which are open the head coolant jacket. Also a head gasket can leak on the low side and not get into the oil.

Adam

Reaction score
My bet is the rear exhaust studs/bolts. Get some non-hardening permatex.

73Barracuda

Reaction score
As soon as I get some time off I'm gna pull the exhaust manifold off and check the bolt and plug. Thanks for the info guys, I'll update when I find out what it is.

Adam

Reaction score
Yes pressure testing is optimal, but you may only need to pull the rear most exhaust bolt or stud (if you can get it out). Stand by with another bolt to put in the hole as you will start leaking immediately, then clean up the old bolt, add a liberal amount of Permatex to it and re-install.

Post a pic of the engine.

73Barracuda

Reaction score
When I get off next week I'm going to try and pressure test it. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Back