• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Replaced my 340 with a 392

Cudafor36

Reaction score
looking to the board to provide any comments or help on this;

My brand new 392 is burning oil pretty bad. Has 68 miles on her now. Put the catch can in and I grab about an ounce in ten miles. Still at startup and general very light breakin driving I get a random plume of blue smoke. I also have lovely oil or ??? Spots all over my rear end. Dealer says it's common. I call BS. My 340 i beat like no other and zero oil use.

Cudafor36

Reaction score
Oops here it is. And my new oil burner compete

IMG_5818.JPG

IMG_5859.JPG

IMG_5819.JPG

tonysrt

Reaction score
Do you need the catch can? I have an 05 and a10 hemi and the 05 couldn't use a catch can. I do have one on the 10 6.1. When both of these engines were new it seems they needed a long break-in time. They never burnt that much oil as your seeing, but I noticed at start up they would give a little blue smoke. The 05 has 79,000 miles and the 10 has 9000 miles and no more smoke ever. Has anybody else experienced this problem with the new crate motors? One last thought is a vacuum line possibly sucking the oil or possibly the catch can.

Cudafor36

Reaction score
Thanks for the notes. I have installed a catch can and my oh my so they filter out s lot of oily liquid from getting into the intake. I'll double check for vacuum sources but that might be internal so to speak. Only the pcv gets a load of vacuum from the intake. Bizzar it is

tonysrt

Reaction score
Did somebody recommend using the catch can on the crate motor?

Cudafor36

Reaction score
So Friday my new crate 392 started to blow massive amounts of oil and a horrible idle out the exhaust. It's now at the dealer and they are doing a compression test and oil leak test. Luckily mopar performance has a two year warranty on the crate. Dealer says quality is not as good as it used to be. Gesh for $10k and new you'd think they would care. Though I have seen lots on the web about these motor issues.

tonysrt

Reaction score
This is the problem they had when they came out with the Gen 2 hemi crate motors. Quality was garbage and the price was 10 grand in 2000. I was lucky I bought the motor from a great guy who had to keep fighting with Chrysler to make those motors right. Eventually they did, but it leaves a bad taste from all the aggravation. And by the way Hemi's are a pain getting in and out of a car.

Cudafor36

Reaction score
Thanks for the Intel. I'm driving to the dealer right now. They are great to work with but this is the first upgrade they are aware of in my area. Agree the aggravation is dumb. My 392 was 10k yes but I got a dealer discount. And yes it was "fun" getting it installed all by myself. And then to have it smoke like a coal factory at start now worse with 168 miles on it sucks.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
these should not have the issues the LA , RB & Hemi crates had as these are assembly line engines , they should be able to build those or just pull them from the production

Cudafor36

Reaction score
The latest news on my oil spewing delema. The dealer found 66% leak in cylinder #2. Blown!! Mopar is sending me a new crate engine but I have to install again. 168 miles on her and nothing over 3k rpm. Argh.

tonysrt

Reaction score
He's not the only guy bitten by a Mopar Crate engine and probably not the last. You would think they would fire these engines after assembly so as not to give the buyer grief. It was mentioned earlier that these motors are built on the line which shows there is not much quality from the people assembling them.

Back