• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 A-66 Challenger Convertible

340challconvert

Reaction score
Austa
I had to bend the rear lip down slightly to maneuver the 1/2 floor pans into place.
I used a wide mouth clamp which enabled me to bend the lip with minimal distortion
The way the pans lay out; I will have to weld in the pan to the rear frame rail that goes across the back first, then bend the lip up to meet the tail panel.

When I try to place the panels to the original seam at the front of the pan where it meets the top of the rear floor pan; it fits tight against the wheel well housings, but is a little short to fit properly at the rear lip. Moving the trunk pans slightly back (1/8 in) then I enlarge the gap at the wheel well housings.
A lot of maneuvering the metal, 2x4 and hammer/dolly work and patience.

These are AMD panels. Overall, they seem to fit OK.

Dino2 (1).gif

Good stuff
Did the rear lip fit inside the tail panel Ok

AUSTA

Reaction score
Thanks,
This one is a real struggle the tail panel was refitted then mig welded ,Bronze Welded & fitted with 1/4 bolts to hold it all together it was almost a tail panel replacement as well as the floor the Oxy & Plasma cutter sorted it out.
I guess these old girls are getting to the age where we will see more restored cars coming up for another rebuild.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Getting ready to reverse the Challenger's position in the one car garage so the trunk end is by the garage door; so I can start welding in the trunk floor.

Installing the torsion bars so the car has a suspension again. Went one step on from my 78-79 bars to 80-81's from Mopar Performance.
Went in pretty easy, knocked in last section with a large wooden dowl.
TB clip that came with the seal seems smaller the stock? It did click in place in the groove. Smaller then originals?

Seal went over the end easily with very lite use of a heat gun.
I like that I can still see the factory marks on on the cross member.
Dino2 (1).gif

IMG_5213.jpg

IMG_5214.jpg

IMG_5218.jpg

budascuda

Reaction score
"I like that I can still see the factory marks on on the cross member."

When I come across things like that, it takes me back to the day, the moment, really

340challconvert

Reaction score
A tip I got here on FEBO a while back; using the heat gun (very carefully) to warm up the lip of the TB seal so that it slips over the head of the TB easily.

I was struggling to slip on the seal on to the TB until I went back to my saved notes on this.
Works great!
Dino2 (1).gif

340challconvert

Reaction score
I keep looking for dates on parts installed on my October 6th SPD Challenger A66.
Brake proportioning valve dates;2459-Sept 2nd and 2769-Oct 3rd.

Pretty much on target with other dates from parts from my car (August - late October 1969.)

IMG_5230.jpg

IMG_5234.jpg

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
Picked up a set of 4 dollies from Summit w free shipping to help move the Challenger around a little easier. Bought the 16" wide variety to fit wide tires.

mrm-m998001.jpg

Dino2 (2).gif

rbbruno3

Reaction score
I have a couple sets of those too, make it a little easier. Still a little tough for one old guy (me)to get it rolling and change direction.

definitely better than a couple of floor jacks!!

340challconvert

Reaction score
Very close to doing the trunk floor install.
Holes drilled for the spot welds.
Had to also create 2 small patches for the back of the two rear wheel wells.
Test fit the two piece floor in. Had to do some tweaking to get the AMD panels to fit against the wheel wells properly, yet fit appropriately to the tail panel
Measuring and fitting very carefully since this is the first time I have done this type of body work.
Wrenching.gif

Ordered the wheel dollies; need to switch the rear of the car to the front of the garage. I am working out of one car side of the garage and prefer to weld near the door rather then the interior of the garage (garage is under our bedrooms) Relocating the car's position is next.
Not ideal, but it is the space I have to work with.

Dino2 (2).gif

Adam

Reaction score
Very close to doing the trunk floor install.
Holes drilled for the spot welds.
Had to also create 2 small patches for the back of the two rear wheel wells.
Test fit the two piece floor in. Had to do some tweaking to get the AMD panels to fit against the wheel wells properly, yet fit appropriately to the tail panel
Measuring and fitting very carefully since this is the first time I have done this type of body work.
View attachment 65174
Ordered the wheel dollies; need to switch the rear of the car to the front of the garage. I am working out of one car side of the garage and prefer to weld near the door rather then the interior of the garage (garage is under our bedrooms) Relocating the car's position is next.
Not ideal, but it is the space I have to work with.

View attachment 65175
You might want to weld the gas tank supports to the bottom of the trunk pans before you install them, much easier than welding, lying on the floor, working against gravity.. the supports will also help stiffen up the pan.

AUSTA

Reaction score
If using AMD Check the quarter panel extension where the rear valance fits the original has a nice deep recess for the valance where the new ones were very shallow making the valance sit very high once fitted i heated the fold red hot & reformed the V just dont do it with the fuel tank in place

340challconvert

Reaction score
I also found that the L shaped lip at the back of the two piece AMD trunk floor was a little short when the panels were laid snugly against the wheel wells. Had to do a little re-bending in that area also.
If using AMD Check the quarter panel extension where the rear valance fits the original has a nice deep recess for the valance where the new ones were very shallow making the valance sit very high once fitted i heated the fold red hot & reformed the V just dont do it with the fuel tank in place

340challconvert

Reaction score

Austa, thank you for your thoughts.
Dino2 (2).gif

340challconvert

Reaction score
Need an opinion:
Ready to screw down the trunk panel for spot welding
I had the car on 4 jack stands on the frame on all four corners. Everything fit well with the car in this position.
I lowered the car to the floor to finish installation of the torsion bars so the car was mobile again.
Question; is it ok to screw in the trunk floor on leveled jack stands on the frame or install the trunk while the car is on the floor. Easier to work on it on the stands.
Opinions welcome
Dino2.gif

budascuda

Reaction score
the car has to be level, when on jack stands, it should still be made level.
a car sitting on it's wheels may or may not sit level even if your shop floor is absolutely level.
by the way, it becomes imperative to keep the car level if its a convertible.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Measuring placement of gas tank braces to trunk floor; using what is left of the old trunk floor as a template. Installing the braces should be easier before installing floor; have to measure carefully due to the two piece panels.(Adam, thanks for your earlier thoughts on this)
Using the floor holes, ribbs and panel contours for placement as close to the original as possible.

The AMD gas tank braces are wider on the side diameter and slimmer on the u channel then the originals.
upload_2020-1-8_15-22-27.png

upload_2020-1-8_15-25-10.png

Dino2 (2).gif

upload_2020-1-8_15-26-0.png

Last edited:

R4Sedan

Reaction score
Hey, Phil
Just read through your whole thread. Great car and great work.
My first Challenger was a 1970 Convertible I bought In '89 wish I would have held
on to it. I have a '70 S/E now.
I see you bought yours in Toms River. I was born and raised in Cape May.
Keep up good work .
Larry

Back